The Man Down

Nightmare had returned, but Killer was nowhere to be found. He wasn't back the next day either. Cross set out to look for him. He'd already found out about Ink's thievery. He'd been mad, but when he heard how Nightmare restricted all their diets, he decided to let Ink off the hook. None of them had probably seen a chocolate bar in years.

Cross had almost considered talking to someone about Killer. Killer was the only other knife thrower. And he was the experienced one. How could he teach Cross if he was never around?? Cross furrowed his brow.

He'd seen Nightmare emerge from behind the Animal Tent, so he went in that direction first. He stopped, seeing large claw marks in the dirt and broken trees. He blinked and summoned his knife, unsure of how recent the damage was. He crept forward, following it.

He didn't think this could've been from Nightmare. One thing was for sure. He knew Killer would be injured once he found him. The problem was, he didn't know how bad and he wasn't sure that he wanted to. But he had to find him. He had to find him and get him back to the Medical Tent.

Cross stiffened as he felt pain and misery grow stronger. He crossed through another area, teleporting over a stream. He finally emerged into a clearing. His knife fell to the ground and he was in shock. Killer was leaned up against a tree. He was pinned there by his own knives, stuck through both of his shoulders. His head was leaned back.

Cross felt it. He felt the knives in his shoulders, but at the same time, could feel severe lacerations in his back, cracking up his spine. Killer had a laceration on his cheek and it stung on Cross' just the same. Cross was horrified. "Killer?" At his voice, the other seemed to stir. His target SOUL was shrunken and feeble in front of his chest.

It hurt Cross' own SOUL, which trembled. Cross stared at him. It was going to be a bitch to remove those knives. For both him AND Killer. Cross could barely walk, seeing as how Killer's knees looked like they'd been crushed in. Killer stared at him dully. He didn't seem surprised or upset to see Cross.

Cross just felt pain and numbness from him. And a sense of defeat. Killer had given up. Cross knelt down in front of him, trying to avoid looking at the shattered kneecaps. He could feel them and it hurt. He reached out with his hands lit up and felt the numbness take over as the pain began lifting away.

He was able to heal the kneecaps, but that was mostly what he could manage. He shook softly. "Killer, I'm going to go get Reaper." He said quietly. Killer managed a limp nod and Cross stood, backing away from him. Killer looked hopeless and felt hopeless. Cross gulped. That wasn't good.

Killer had been pinned there for almost two days. No wonder his SOUL was so shrunken. After he got Reaper, Cross would have to get Killer some food. He picked up his knife and lodged it in the ground before taking off towards the circus.

———————————

Dust looked up from his conversation with Papyrus as Cross came out from behind the Animal Tent, his eyes wide. He cast a quick glance at Dust before moving past him and ducking into the Medical Tent. After a few moments, Cross came out with Reaper. "Cross, if it's the place I'm thinking of, I swore never to go back to that clearing."

Reaper had spoken in a hushed voice. "I don't know if I could handle remembering the feeling of that SOUL in my hands as I reaped it." He was looking down, his bony hands held out and shaking. Cross seemed in disbelief.

"Reaper, he's HURT! And he's hurt bad!!" Cross exclaimed. Reaper seemed at a loss for words before his eyes raised and met Dust's. There was a silent request shared between them. Dust blinked and pulled himself out from in between the tents and made his way over. Cross noticeably shivered and turned to look at him.