Chapter 2: Wrong place, wrong time

Eleanor

Looking to the loud ringing of the phone intercom, I frowned wondering who the hell could it be. Who the hell would interrupt my pampering session this late at night. With my grey clay face mask on, I forced myself up off my sofa and picked up the phone.

"Open the door bitch, it's me".

"Sorry, you must have pressed the wrong number. Bye" I hung up the phone getting my own back on him. I could hear him swear under his breath before I disconnected the intercom.

Waiting a couple of seconds to make the tension greater, I finally relented and pressed the open button to the main door.

Keeping my flat door closed, I couldn't help but smirk listening to Cal stomping his way up the stairway cursing about me with each step.

"Let me in, chickpea" Cal whined loudly like a child begging for their own way, his knocks slow and loud.

"You call me chickpea one more time and I will leave you out there" I threatened.

"But I brought you pizza" Cal muttered so quietly I almost didn't hear it. 

Sighing in defeat, I pulled the door open and stared at Cal with a face full of annoyance. I wanted to be good, I had resisted all temptation of picking up the phone to order junk food and here the jerk was, holding a large box of freshly baked pizza. How could I now resist.

"Damn. Jump scare much!" Cal recoiled slightly whilst resting his hand on top of his heart as he stared at my face that was covered in a clay mask.

"Idiot" I scoffed as I turned away from him and went to the bathroom to wash it off.

"I knew you wouldn't resist" he shouted before taking off his shoes and made himself at home.

Dabbing my face with the soft towel, I hurried back into the living room eager to make sure that he hadn't started without me.

"Prick! First you practically barge into my home and then make a start on the pizza you brought for me. Who do you think you are?".

Cal turned to face me with his eyes widened and a mouth full of pepperoni pizza.

"I'm Cal, nice to meet you" he smiled whilst showing his entire mouthful of pizza.

"You're gross and an asshole" I shoved his head as I slumped myself down next to him.

"But you still love me" Cal wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into a side hug.

"Occasionally, but what brings you here at 10:15pm? I could have been asleep for all you know" I questioned as I picked up a slice of pizza, my mouth salivating at the cheese pull.

"As if. You're like a nocturnal animal. Besides, if you were asleep I swear you'd probably wake up as soon as you could smell the pizza".

I shrugged my shoulders and continued to eat the delicious piece of pizza.

"How was the rest of your shift?" I asked Cal sensing he had something on his mind.

Cal chuckled whilst reaching into his bag and pulled out 2 cans of Diet Coke.

"Eh, it was alright. Except a couple of pompous men came in and had the audacity to insult the artwork in the cafe".

"Fuck, are they still alive?" I laughed out knowing how much Cal loves his art.

Cal shrugged his shoulders and gave me a humorous look.

"I was tempted to spit in their drinks, but I prayed to Jesus to give me strength. And the Lord answered".