39. Circumstances ~ CARL

The last thing I expected on a Saturday night was to be called by an unknown number

The last thing I expected on a Saturday night was to be called by an unknown number. It was a little past nine, I was sitting on the couch, and Kylie was talking to Snusken in her annoying cat voice when my phone suddenly started blaring. I pulled it out of my pocket and frowned at the screen in confusion, which had Kylie asking, "Who is it?"

"I don't know."

My ringtone kept going.

"Well, pick up then," Kylie said.

Easier said than done.

"Carl."

"Yeah, yeah," I said, sighing and pressing accept. "Hello?"

"Hello?" said the person on the other end.

"Hello?" I repeated.

"Is this Carl?"

"Yeah, who is this?"

"Oh, sorry, I'm Johanna."

Johanna? Did I know any Johannas? "Uhh... Oh. Nate's sister?"

"The one and only. Look, are you busy right now?"

I glanced at Kylie, as though she could hear the conversation. Naturally, all I got from her was a shrug. Snusken started stretching on her lap, the telltale sign that she was leaving, so Kylie turned her attention back on the cat, trying to get her to stay.

"Uh, sure," I said to Johanna. "I mean, no. I'm not busy. Why? Do you need me for something?"

"Yeah, so um, long story short, Nate kinda sorta, like, came out? On accident?"

My hold around my phone tightened. "What?"

"Micah and Terrence were talking about how he never shows interest in girls and we tried to change the subject, but then they started joking about Nate being gay and he didn't know what to say, and I didn't know what to say, and Nate started freaking out, like he started hyperventilating and shit and Daisy and I—"

"Hold on," I interrupted, instantly getting up from the couch. "Is he okay?"

She was quiet for a moment.

"Johanna?"

"Yeah... Yeah, he is. Can you come, though?"

"Send me the address."

"Will do. I'll stay with him until you get here."

"Thank you."

When I ended the call, Kylie got up from the couch as well. Snusken jumped down and started circling her legs, meowing loudly, but Kylie pushed her away with her foot. With her arms crossed across her chest, she asked, "What's happening? Where are we going?"

"We?"

"Yeah, I'm not letting you go alone."

"Kylie—"