TWENTY SEVEN

JENO WAS EXHAUSTED. His schedule was packed. From early morning practice, to school, then to after school practice which would end at 8 if Coach had a bad day, and then to doing homework and studying all night, Jeno was just about ready to pass out. The only times he was able to get a good full night of sleep were the weekend and Wednesday's, which were days without basketball practice.

Jeno hates school. He hates all of it. However, the expectations of his parents forces him to try his best. Even though Coach told Jeno he had a very high chance of getting a scholarship for basketball, his parents told him otherwise. To them, hoping for a scholarship was too risky and they pressured him to study, study, study.

The beginning of the year was never as hectic as the middle. The teachers would ease into the work since it was after summer, then boom, they'd pour all of the work they had onto him for midterms.

Jeno sighed as he sat down at his desk, again. It was a Wednesday, so he had extra time to study and do work. After a hour or so, he found himself done. Jeno looked at his planner in confusion, he was actually done? When realizing he didn't have a test the next day (thank you to Mrs. Song!) and he had the night to himself, Jeno decided to text Jaemin to meet. He knew he was neglecting his significant other too much.

━━━━━━━━━━━━

IMESSAGE: JAEM <3

jeno:
hey baby!!

jaem <3:
hi cutie:>
what's up?

jeno:
surprise, im actually free
right now if you're down?
i miss u:(

jaem <3:
im hanging out with renjun
today:( ill ask if you can join...?

jeno:
ah... no it's fine!! don't ask
enjoy ur time with him:,)
ill ask hyuckie if he's free<3

jaem <3:
im sorry baby...
this weekend? after ur
basketball practice??

jeno:
ill let you know!

jaem <3:
okay!!
i love u see u tomorrow!!

jeno:
i love u too<3

━━━━━━━━━━━━

IMESSAGE: HYUCK

jeno:
are u free today~

hyuck:
no fuckin wayyyy
jeno lee?? free??????

jeno:
>:( shut up

hyuck:
hehe yes im free
what abt jaem?

jeno:
he's with renjun rn so
he's busy!!

hyuck:
oh... let's go out
the two of us!
it's been a long time jen!!!

jeno:
yes yes
ill meet you for dinner?
want to eat kimbap and ramen?

hyuck:
u know me so well<3
ill stop by ur place
and we can walk together at like 6

jeno:
see u then!!

━━━━━━━━━━━━

DINNER WITH HYUCK WAS NICE. Jeno was glad to be able to spend time with one of his closest friends, without the stress of due dates and practice on his back.

"Thanks for paying, Jen," Donghyuck smirked and pat his friends back.

"Yeah, yeah," Jeno sighed, "it's only because mom and dad gave me my allowance this week,"

"Not all of us can have super rich doctor parents," Donghyuck laughed.

"Yeah, well they're shit so, I'll gladly trade. I love your parents anyways."

Donghyuck gasped, dramatically, "No! Mama Lee is mine. We can always share though," He put an arm around Jeno's shoulders.

"I wish. Tell your parents if they ever want another son, I'm down."

"Is it really that bad Jeno? Have they gotten fussy again?" Donghyuck turned, facing his friend seriously.

"Yeah, it's bad again. It's even worse than last year." Jeno said, nonchalantly, as if it was normal.

"Hey, your parents expect, like some genius level grades. Even if they say otherwise, you're smart, Jeno. Smarter than the average. Not everyone can get all A's on their report card, especially if they're taking honors and APs." Donghyuck smiled at Jeno. "If I had your parents, I think I'd cause them to have a heart attack by looking at my report card."

"Thanks Hyuck, that makes me feel better." Jeno smiled back, "Now, what do you want to do now? The world is our oyster."

"Shut up. I do not need to hear that shit from you." Donghyuck groaned, "God, you sound like a suburban, stay at home mom. Let's go to the park, we haven't been there in a while, huh?"

"Yeah," Jeno grinned, "good idea. Finally! Donghyuck has a good idea."

"I'm letting this go because you paid for food."

"Race you there!" Jeno ran towards the park, which was only a ten minute walk from the restaurant.

"You are an athlete! Stop running!" Donghyuck groaned, as he chased after Jeno.

Donghyuck caught up with Jeno, hands on his knees, gasping for air. "You are not allowed to do that shit! If I had asthma, you'd be in big trouble."

When realizing his best friend wasn't replying back, he stood up correctly, looking at Jeno. Jeno was facing forwards, looking at something Donghyuck couldn't see in the darkness. "Hey, Jeno? You good?"

"Hyuck, do you think Jaemin would ever cheat on me?"

Donghyuck froze. Where the hell did that come from?

Then, he remembered the texts between Jaemin and himself. The texts Jaemin sent, saying he was interested Renjun. At this point, he wasn't so sure about the answer himself.

"I don't think Jaemin would, Jeno. Why're you asking?" Donghyuck lied. He lied and felt like shit the second those words came out of his mouth.

"Okay. Just, just wondering. It's getting dark, maybe the park wasn't a good idea. Is it alright if we just go home?"

Jeno finally turned to face Donghyuck back.

"Yeah, sure bud." Donghyuck agreed, knowing that something was going on with Jeno, but he didn't push.

The two walked away from the park, and only Jeno knew they were leaving behind Jaemin and Renjun, who were sitting at a bench, too close to one another to just be friends.

Jeno didn't reply to Jaemin's texts that night.