Chapter Seven

1931 was a year I would never forget. Alice was only eight monthes old, AJ was soon to turn six. Everything of this year changed my entire experience.

It was a normal day nothing had been different. Work was normal, everything was going smoothly. Nothing was any different. Not until the news reached my ears, it was then that day took a horrible turn for the insanely worse.

I was setting up for my time on the air, I was in a great mood. My wife had made a big breakfast, I watched with delight as she was feeding Alice and AJ was talking about making a friend in the neighborhood. It set me up for a good day and for the beginning, it was. But around noon something had everyone panicking. I had tried to call home but no one was answering, I thought that they might had gone to the park. But what I heard next shook my life. One of my coworkers came running towards me, out of breath and sweating. He looked at me and say two words that sent me into panic.

"Home. Fire."

Not wasting a moment I dashed out the building and ran home. Dodging cars and people, many looked at me in confusion. While running I kept hoping and wishing it wasn't true. Praying that I would make it in time, begging for my family to be safe. The sound of fire trucks and sirens grew louder the closer I got, as did the fear. I ran until my feet ache but I refused to stop.
Running through the neighborhood as my neighbors gasped and stared in shock, some called out to me but I wasn't listening. The only thing on my mind was my wife and children. I kept going until the sight of my home consumed with bright flames.

 I kept going until the sight of my home consumed with bright flames

The once jolly smile that was printed on my face was gone. Replaced with fear and terror for there lives. Immediately looking around, searching for my family. For my wife's white hair, my sons red hair and my angelic daughter's pink dress. Only to find nothing. Then the one true fear hit, the truth. The horrible truth that my family was still inside and no one was trying to save them. My body moved on it's own, going towards my burning house. People shouted at me, calling for me to stop. I heard none of them. It wasn't until someone had grabbed me from behind that I began to thrash away and fight to break free. Two more sets of arms grabbed me. I started screaming.

"My family! They must still be inside. Why won't you save them!? Let me go! I have to get to them. LET ME GO!!"

No one did. No one saved them. By the end, my family was gone.

 By the end, my family was gone