one : the meeting

All I know is that I can't let it happen again

All I know is that I can't let it happen again. I wonder..... no, Wren. No. I can't let it happen ag- "Hey! Sabrina told me you were coming today, I'm Oliver, I presume you already know about me though." The door opens abruptly, a tall built man with messy black hair stares down at me with a wide straight-toothed smile. My eyes gaze over the person in front of me, startled by meeting his dark green eyes and the sudden fragrance of sandalwood. I smile kindly trying to hide my onset curiosity of who this new person is.

She's got a type. "Wren. Nice to meet you. Where's Sabrina?" I peek inside at the hardwood floors and plush furniture, wondering where Sabrina could've gotten all the money for this. It was a one-story modern beach house in Long Beach, I used to love visiting here when I was younger. The weather was different in Seattle, I could feel the hot sticky air clinging to my curls as soon as I hopped out of the taxi. Keep it short. "Oh, I was wondering if I was going to stay with you guys too, my taxi kind of already left..."

I move slightly showing the suitcase in my hand behind me. "Oh of course, if you're Brina's family you're mine too." He steps aside to let me in, "Plus... I already cleaned everything up for you and that's not gonna go to waste." Jokes already? He seems comfortable.

He smiles again and I finally get a good look at his face, his strong jawline, and thick fluffy eyebrows frame his bold eyes and sleek yet strong features. Oliver closes the door behind me and I notice the curls that drape onto his forehead, shaved down on the sides to show ink peeking out from under his black t-shirt.

I wish I knew what that was, if I lean in to get a peek.. fuck he's staring awkwardly at me now. "Oh, thank you." I break eye contact with him placing my suitcase down, and start nervously playing with the strings on my backpack. "I'm grateful for your hospitality. How long have you two been together?"

"Three years. It's gone by so quickly though—it's crazy even saying that." He closes the door behind me, turning the lock. "How come you haven't visited before? She's shown me pictures of you." He leans up against the wall crossing his arms with a suddenly sly look on his face.

Oh, God... I squint my eyes, remembering what happened between us. "Yeah, did she tell you anything else about me?"

"Not really, no. Just that you're her little sister, Wren, and you're visiting for the wedding." He scratched his head walking towards the back of the house, "But I know there's more to it." He turns looking me dead in the eye making me question if he truly knew it all. Goosebumps travel up my spine sending chills to my arms.  Maybe he does know something. This could be bad. "If you'll follow me, the room you're gonna stay in is down here." He cuts a corner leaving me awkwardly standing in the living room questioning what he could know.

I follow shortly after, hauling my suitcase behind me, waltzing into a wide, square room with high ceilings and a large fur blanket-covered bed. Tall plants frame a sliding glass door in which you can see the waves crashing in the far distance. A small white desk is in the corner sits neatly against the wall. The chalkboard placed above it reads, 'Welcome Wren!'