twenty-five : retry

wow.... one more chapter left. enjoy. 🤍

Tristan grabbed my hand as I walk down the steps. He had arranged for a driver to meet us, the sun shining through dark grey clouds reminded me that I was back in the Boston air. So crisp and cold. I had been distracted ever since seeing that stranger yesterday. His presence haunting me. I combed my brain for any loose ends we possibly could have left and every time found myself blank.

"I wanted to show you this, too." He pulls his ID out, turning it so I could read the name. Wes Davis. "If you want.... we can really start over?" I pause before holding my words in my throat. Allowing it to form into a choking cluster before he starts again. "You don't have to if you don't want to."

"Are you saying we're a married couple?"

"Well ... we could be if you want that."

"We... well."

"It could make it easier for us to run jobs, husband and wife is more believable than anything else. Plus I'd be able to do this on the job," He wraps his hand around my waist, hands sitting on my lower back. I begin to laugh, pushing his hand off playfully.

"Stop." He laughs, "It doesn't sound like a bad idea, Tristan. I..." I comb my mind thinking about how many possible ways this could go wrong. What do I have to lose?  "Life is short. I've always wanted to be in a relationship like Mr. and Mrs. Smith."

He places a hand over his mouth, "Tomb raider is hotter."

"Same actress, dumbass." I chuckle, shrugging and giving into the idea once and for all. "Mr. and Mrs. Davis." I look down at his hands before gazing at mine. He has a few rings decorated across his fingers, nails manicures shortly. His ring finger remaining empty. My hands had been bruised still, scab on my palm from the screw. My ring finger was also bear, I ran my finger over it a couple times. "I need to get you a ring then." He kneels down, reaching into his front pocket, rustling around for a second before he pulls out a small box. 

"No..." I breathe out.

He sighs, leaning down so I could see the small cut on his forehead. "I didn't know if it was too soon. I tried to keep myself busy these weeks wondering whether I was going to do this or not. But, Wren, everything in me tells me that you were put on my path for a reason. I know now that I want this to be something that lasts and I can protect you through anything. Let this be a promise from me to you that we will only go up from here. And this doesn't have to be you agreeing to run heists with me it's more like will you give me a chance?"

I pause, erasing the picture of Oliver from my mind almost as quickly as it manifests. "Of course, I'll give you a chance." Suddenly I become overwhelmed with emotion. A single tear falls out my eye, his hand raising to brush it off. He raises planting his lips gently on my forehead before grabbing my left hand and slipping the diamond ring on my finger. No matter how it moved the light glistened off of it so beautifully. "I.... I don't even know what to say."

As the driver and airport workers loaded up our car, Tristan opened the backseat door for me with a mischievous smirk. "You don't have to say anything right now...." He says and the words leave his lips with a new kind of poison. He closes the door and walks around sliding in besides me.

Soon enough the driver slams the trunk and before I know it he's seated buckling himself up. "Well, lovely couple, Mrs. and Ms. Davis, we'll be at the estate in about 15 minutes. It's a really beautiful home, by the way. My buddy used to live a few houses down..." He continues on talking as I space out, watching the view of the airplanes flying off into the distance before it vanishes as we enter a neighborhood. Long pillars holding up front door archways.