The pale queen

"...I... I understand if you can never look at me the same way again-"

"Why?"

"...Why? Why! WHAT DO YOU MEAN 'WHY?' BECAUSE I'M A MONSTER! HOW COULD ANYONE FORGIVE ME FOR WHAT I'VE DONE! I ENJOYED EVERY SECOND OF IT! THE KILLING, THE GENOCIDE, THE RAZING CITIES, THE PILLAGING, THE R-"

"I expected nothing but what I heard, everyone hides some kind of monster, I adored killing innocent and young dragons in the arena then ate the keepers if I wasn't put in enough fights. I needed my master to fight back my monster for me, your monster was clearly much stronger  than mine and you beat it completely by yourself. You're more than your monster Toothless. Becoming someone the mantis tribe fears is nearly impossible, your monster is what they feared, and you eradicated it entirely.

I will only tell the others that you told me your full story, nothing more, you tell them when you're ready."

"... Can we go home now?"

"Hahaha, *sigh*, alright you big goofball."

"That's... Not something I ever thought you'd call me. It felt kinda felt good."

"And I'll keep calling you that as a reminder the past you is a lie, this is who you are."

"You just gestured to all of me."

"Yeah, and i'm also telling Hiccup you took his line!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I COULD'VE GOTTEN TO HER!"

"No you couldn't Hiccup."

"YES I COULD, WHY'D YOU PULL ME BACK? WHY COULDN'T YOU AT LEAST LET ME TRY?"

"The hive queen didn't tell you what she told me. You don't have to like it, just except the fact that those dragons are put under lifeblood influence willingly. Even if you somehow freed them, they'd kill you and return to the Exiles to be given lifeblood again. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to discuss that with the chief as well."

"What? NONONO ASTRID! You can't do this! If you try to attack them the Night Furies could die!"

"...I know the risks Hiccup, but the Night Furies are the only reason you've gotten your parents and the Mantis Tribe not to face the Exiles. Now that we know there's no way to bring them to our side even if we cured the lifeblood, we need to bring down the Exiles AND their dragons. I'm sorry."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"NO! STOICK YOU CAN'T DO THIS!"

"You MUST do this, the dragons won't have anything to do with us, they only want to escape from the world that abandoned them. They can't be reasoned with."

"I... Will have to think about it."

"Think about it all you like, whatever you decide I'm bringing this to the mantis tribe and Wanderer's attention next. We can't just sit still waiting for a miracle to cure those dragons because that still won't change their allegiance. If you and Valka won't take action, I will."

"NO ASTRID, YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO THEM THEY'RE INNOCENT DRAGONS JUST LISTEN TO ME!"

"I have to do something Valka, the Exiles will keep attacking Berk and the void's given me the means to stop them. Those Night Furies are the Exiles versions of our dragons, and as such they will never abandon each other, we need to strike. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you for this human. We will begin organizing the warriors and hive, our former brothers and sisters will face the wrath of Hallownest itself."

"It's good to have someone on my side, Berk hasn't been as cooperative due to the lifeblood Night Furies."

The three lords spoke to each other in their native language, Astrid didn't understand but the word 'zephyr' was thrown around a few more times than others.

"We would like for you to aid the front lines."

"Wait, really? I mean yes, I'll do it."

"Do you know the story of Zephyr?"

"No, I haven't"

"She was the stepmother of the one you call 'Toothless', she was slain honorably in battle, but 'Zephyr's story' mostly revolves around her stepson's rampage afterward."

"... I'm quite aware of that part. "

"You have proven yourself very capable, and our warriors have been calling you Zephyr ever since your performance at the most recent raid. The mantis you killed had become well known as indestructible among us. The warriors insist on calling you Zephyr around them, just so you are aware, we would not want any confusion when you left."

"It's alright, I like it."

"Good. The Pale king, Gendered child, and Monomon's assistant will likely be joining you in the assault."

"Who?"

"The Pa-... The Wanderer, Hornet, and Quirrel. The Pale Wanderer in particular has put a personal target on the Exiled leader for a reason we don't know, but we suggest you do the same, ending him will bring down the Exiles and their dragons will be euthanized."

"NO! *ahem* No, the dragons aren't to blame. If you want to kill all of them, you need to commit genocide on your 'old friends' as well. Believe it or not the lifeblood Night Furies are no different then their un-drugged counterparts. They had something happen to them that they wanted to forget before the Exiles gave them the lifeblood they needed to do it. We can only kill the ones we need to and treat the rest as normal."

"... Very well then, the lifeblood Night Furies will be considered as normal dragons and spared when this war is over. Just do not count on the mantis's to have your own people do the same."

"I won't have to."

"It's good to meet someone with the resolve and will of a mantis, such a breed as yours has been difficult to come across as of late."

The Mantis Lords weren't lying about every mantis wanting to call her Zephyr, the name carried a great deal of respect with it however. Astrid could only wonder for a moment about Toothless, at least the reason for what she saw in the Abyss made sense knowing of the original Zephyr, but her wondering about Toothless quickly turned to being tackled and licked by the former elite as if she'd willed him into existence.

"H-hey there Toothless, mind getting off of me bud?"

The surrounding mantis's immediately backed away when Astrid mentioned who the new Night Fury was, clearly resisting the urge to draw their weapons. Toothless could only get up somberly as he stared at the ground, taking the chance to show them he's not who he once was, Astrid searched for and scratched his favorite spot. Toothless's foot repeatedly smacked the ground as his eyes rolled back and closed, the mantis warriors eased off and Astrid let him recover. Still woozy after the random petting session, Toothless happily followed Astrid to the center of the mantis village where the Wanderer and Platinum stood with Hornet and Quirrel, apparently waiting for Berk and the hive to send their respective warriors.

Strangely enough, Hiccup wasn't there with his dragon, had Toothless come here on his own accord? It certainly wasn't anything new, he'd been going to that big lake with Platinum for much of the ten moths they'd been in their new home. Maybe her encouragement to tell Platinum had brought him out of his shell for good? Though he'd likely only act this upbeat with his friend. Whatever the case, he was at her side for the coming battle, together they had to force the Exiles to stop the raiding.

No cost too great.