The song

Lan Qiren knew he was going to regret this. Oh god, he was going to regret this.

But there he was standing With his nephew Lan Xichen who looked somber but hopeful.

Lan Xichen had found a song that could bring someone back. It was a long shot, but they were desperate. 

Lan Zhan lay nearly lifeless on a bed. His skin was pale; he was thin.

He was fading fast.

He lifted Liebing to his lips and played the melody. It was soft and lulling. He found himself swaying. Lan Qiren was also swinging. The swaying was not part of it. Well, at least not that Lan Xichen knew. 

Suddenly the world fuzzed, and the two Lan's found themselves standing on a cliff. They were seeing Wei Ying; he stood for only a second before someone spoke.

    " Wei Ying, come back," Lan Zhan pleaded his tone was pleading his eyes silently begging. Lan Qiren couldn't rip his eyes from the Yiling Patriarch. He had only seen the boy several times, but never once had he seen the boy look like this. He was always smiling.

Condescending 

arrogant 

Cocky

But never crying, never looking so, so broken. His eyes were filled with self-loathing and pain. 

And then Wei Ying fell. 

Lan Zhan ripped forward with a cry. At the last minute, he caught Wei Ying's hand. Lan Xichen couldn't move. It was too much. His little brother, Lan Zhan, who never showed any emotion, was now confirming it all. His face was twisted into pain and fear. 

    "Lan Zhan," Wei Ying says, looking up tears cascading down his suddenly boyish face. Lan Qiren noted that the boy looked so torn. He looked like he wanted to stay with Lan Zhan but like he couldn't face another day.

Jiang Cheng showed up. Lan Xichen watched in outrage as Jiang Cheng yelled, " Wei Wuxian, go to hell," before he brought his sword down. But it only connected with the rock. But the moment of concentration was lost.

 Wei Ying yanked himself out of Lan Zhan's iron grip as it had loosed in a moment of shock, and the boy fell. 

He died the way he lived.

Loving Lan Zhan

    "Wei Ying," Lan Zhan screamed. It was nothing short of heart-wrenching. Watching the look of denial and realization hit Lan Wangji. 

Everything went fuzzy again. 

Wei Ying was being pushed, and he was falling. 

But suddenly, a black mist swirled around him and caught him.

He looked startled and scared. 

He hit the ground gently. 

Wei Ying was in the burial grounds. 

Everything blurred.

They watched in horror as Wei Ying allowed his golden core to be removed.

Then in shame watched as Wei Ying was called Arrogant, defected, a disgrace. But he knew, yet he never told. Never said anything to anyone.

They saw Lan Zhan calling out to Wei Ying, who turned around with a smile so bright. But just a shell of what it once was.

How had no one noticed? Wei Ying grew paler, thinner; he was smaller. But no one had seen in their deep hatred for him. No one but Lan Zhan. Who watched it all with pain.