excepting

Wei Ying woke early. He was curled next to Lan Zhan. He took a moment to really appreciate his lovers face. How peaceful he looked so deep in slumber. 

Lan Zhan could feel Wei Ying's silver eyes looking at him when he woke up. He felt Wei Ying shift over as if to be physically closer to him.

" Wei Ying," Lan Zhan said, his tone hushed. He opened his eyes and was met with Wei Ying's face inches from his own. 

For a moment, the two just sat there. Allowing the electricity between them crackle. There breath mingling. Eyes searching the others for some sort of confirmation.

Lan Zhan got his bearings first. He closed the distance with one swift movement. Wei Ying's eyes slid closed as Lan Zhan's mouth found his. 

It was not the first time the two had kissed. Though it was forbidden to kiss before marriage in the Gusu Lan sect, so it was never publicly. 

The kiss was over as quick as it came. Short sweet and full of the promise of forever. Wei Ying had grown all too fond for Lan Zhan kissing him awake. It made electricity run through his veins. He felt alive and thriving when Lan Zhan kissed him.

" Goodmorning," Lan Zhan said, his mouth grazing Wei Ying's earlobe. 

" Morning," Wei Ying responds, twisting his body further into the grip of Lan Zhan.

A knock came at the door of the jingshi. Lan Zhan straightened up out of bed and got the door. It was Lan Qiren. 

In his hands were robes.

Black and red robes.

" I have something for Wei Wuxian," Lan Qiren said. Lan Zhan took in the robes, and then he descended the staircase. Leaving Lan Qiren to talk to Wei Ying himself. " These are for you," Lan Qiren says, thrusting the robes to Wei Ying. 

" They're beautiful," he says, running his hand over the intricate detail of them. " Thank you," he says, looking up at Lan Qiren.

" Your mother wore similar colors when she was younger," Lan Qiren finally said. Wei Ying's eyes widened. He never really remembered his parents, especially how they dressed. " I told her that it was unbecoming once," Lan Qiren said he looked far away.

Wei Ying just sat and listened.

" You remind me much of her. She, too, was rebellious and bold. I never could understand how she could say anything that came to her head. I saw much of that in you the first day you were here in Cloud Reacessess. Perhaps that is why I sought out to ridicule you. Perhaps it was because I was bitter your mother chose your father. But now I see why. It was to have you to give Lan Zhan someone. I could not ask for a better companion for him," Lan Qiren pauses. " You simply bring out the best in him. You made him into who he is today. I am proud of who he is of what he believes in and stands for. You broke the ice and got into the water; you were not afraid to swim deeper into the depths of the mystery that surrounded him. Maybe that was your recklessness or maybe fate. But for whatever reason, you chose him. I am truly happy for you," he finished. 

Wei Ying felt hot tears run down his cheeks. He held the fabric firmly in his hands, knowing he would cherish the robes until they were nothing more than rags.

Lan Zhan waited until Lan Qiren left to come back in. Having heard everything, his uncle said he wrapped Wei Ying into his arms and held him. 

" Never thought the day would come that Lan Qiren would approve of me," Wei Ying said with a small laugh.

" I always knew you would win him over," Lan Zhan replied, giving Wei Ying a soft smile in return.

Today was bound to be full of surprises for everyone there. 

Wei Ying took a deep breath. He was nervose.

Today was the day.

The cultivation world would soon learn.

The Yiling Patriarch was no longer dead. 

Wei Wuxian was alive.

Wei Ying was breathing, alive. and well.