Chapter 6: Practical Training II

The next class, English, didn't stir up Momo's interest. Even though the whole class 1-A was paying attention to Present Mic, they could feel the void that was eating up both Momo and Shoto.

Tension filled the air as Shoto glanced over to Momo

Tension filled the air as Shoto glanced over to Momo. She was staring at her books without acknowledging her surroundings.

Present Mic was energetically talking about Shakespeare's tragedies. "Yo! Has anyone ever read any Shakespearean works? If you have, raise your hands up!"

Nobody replied him. Kaminari and Mina were dozing off on their tables.

The teacher called, "Ms. Yaoyorozu?"

Momo sighed. "Romeo and Juliet. Hamlet. Macbeth. King Lear. Othello. That's all I can remember."

"Very good! As expected from our number one student!"

He continued the class, asking more and more questions. Each time no one replied, he would call Momo and she'd answer straightaway. It was highly unlikely for her to not answer the questions with enthusiasm.

In reality, everyone could guess she was not in a good mood. Momo answered Present Mic's question halfheartedly, like she didn't want to be in the class.

Shoto glanced many times to Momo but she was lost in a daze. When the day's class was finished, Shoto walked outside and waited for everyone to go out.

When Midoriya saw him leaning against the wall, he asked, "Are you not going back to the dorms?"

"I have to settle something first."

"Oh, okay. See you then," Midoriya said.

Shoto was sure he was the last one who would come out before Momo. He watched each person who walked out of the class. When nobody else was in sight, Momo stepped out of the class.

Shoto jumped into her way, which astonished her. "S-Shoto!"

He was anxious to talk to her because he had no idea why Momo didn't want to talk to him. He took a few seconds being silent in the middle of the hallway, hoping Momo would start the conversation. His eyes were on the floor.

Luckily, Momo did speak up first. "Is there anything we need to talk abou-"

"I'm sorry I almost killed you!" Shoto cut her off. He was nervous deep inside, but his calm demeanor hid his emotions.

He remembered that he let his friends get injured when they were fighting Stain back then. The event that occurred in Grounds B earlier reminded him of that. He might be too careless and hurt people that he cared about.

"What are you talking about?" Momo inquired.

"Well," he stammered and continued, "I thought you're mad at me because of what happened in the training."