Chapter 10: The Todoroki Family I

On a bright Sunday morning, Momo found herself seated beside Shoto in a taxi with her hands quivering in anxiety.

She looked out the window, only realizing that she hadn't been in that part of the city before. The buildings, the people, the shops and the stalls; perhaps she had been kept locked in her family's mansion too long to discover new things.

It was not a date, but she had never dreamed that the two of them would be going out together. That was not the reason for her nervousness, but the fear of making first impressions. She had been taught that her actions would reflect the Yaoyorozu family.

While sitting with her legs close to each other, she was biting her lower lip because of the expectations she was about to deliver.

Shoto was using his phone, typing messages to his brother, Natsuo.

What had happened that made Momo busy going through a city with Shoto?

It was because of yesterday night when she realized that Shoto didn't come back into The Heights Alliance after taking a phone call.

Momo stepped outside only to find him sitting on the veranda. He was staring off into a distance.

"Was that your dad?" Momo asked as she approached Shoto from his back.

Breaking him off his reverie, he turned to Momo. "Oh, hey, Momo. No, it was my brother."

Shoto brushed the wooden plank beside him, gesturing Momo to sit beside him. He had something to tell her. When she plopped down, she could see the worry that was apparent on Shoto's face.

"I think this might be sudden, but my mother has a request for you," said Shoto, somehow anxious.

"Oh, really? Me?"

"Yeah. As you know, I'm going to visit her tomorrow at the hospital."

"You'll be going out at 12 noon like always, right?"

"Yeah, but this time, my mom wants me to bring you to meet her."

Upon hearing that, Momo was flabbergasted, wondering what had she done to Shoto. It was one thing meeting new people, but the thought of meeting the Todoroki family scared her.

"Did I do anything wrong?" Momo asked out of fear. When she put her thoughts into it, she had never harmed Shoto physically or mentally.

Shoto smiled. "Not at all. I think it's because I've been mentioning you in all my letters. She has gotten very curious."

"You mentioned me in your letters?"

"You've been present in my life lately. Remember when I said that I'd send a photo of me in a tux to my mom? I sent the one that Ashido took of us."

For some reason, Momo had become more flustered. She was sure she was tying Shoto's tie in the picture. She was also sure they were only inches apart from each other.

"Y-You did?"

Shoto saw the change of expression in Momo's face. "Sorry. I didn't ask for your permission first, but I really like that photo."

Nervously, she looked at her feet. "No, it's fine. I like the photo too. It's just a bit unexpected."

That was the reason why she was out with Shoto on this fine morning carrying lunch boxes and tea in thermos flasks. The hospital was quite far from the dorms. When Shoto went to see Mr. Aizawa to ask for permission, he didn't even hesitate to approve.

When Shoto heard Momo's exhale in the car, he asked, "Are you nervous?"

She tried to cover it by grinning. "A little bit, yes. I have to make the best first impression."