☽ Chapter 4: Hell Breaks Loose ☾

Nightmare's POV

Crackle... crackle...

Tap tap tap tap... tap tap tap tap...

"Nightmare, are you there?" the walkie talkie buzzed.

Tap tap tap tap... tap tap tap tap...

"Nightmare, hello?!" It buzzed again.

SLAM!

"Spit. It. OUT," I growled, gripping the edge of my desk. My day hasn't been exactly the best. My boyfriend is apparently missing because he's nowhere to be seen, after exactly 1 hour and 46 minutes of his unexplained absence. And, my coffee is probably cold. Rosco has probably drunk it by now and is having a stroke on the ground.

"Er uhh, uhh, KILLER IS PASSED OUT ON THE GROUND!" Horror yelled quickly. I stopped tapping my fingers.

"...What?"

click.

☽~☾

I sped walked through the halls, ignoring anyone who was trying to spark a useless conversation with me. I'm about to demote the pay of anyone who's even slightly in my way. 

I'll have to talk to Dust in my office after I figure out what the hell is going on. Then, smack Horror for being slightly annoying. Then, watch over Killer in the infirmary. Then, make sure Cross isn't crushing on Dream. Does my workload never end? I have to watch over my employees like lab rats. Soon I'll have to spoon feed everyone because they don't seem to have limbs. 

"O-oh, Nightmare!" a peculiar voice calls out. I stopped and turned around. Negative one dollar, negative two dollars, negative three dollars- huh?

"Cross, what do you want?" I asked, clearly annoyed. I was a little taken aback by his decision to confront me first, instead of me always visiting first to remind him that he's out of line. This could be good social progress! But my excitement fades. He better not ask me where Dream is... Even though I haven't had a proper conversation with Dream in about 0.5 millennia, I'll be the damn overprotective brother if I want to. 

"Um, I checked on Killer and-" I grabbed his cape forcefully and pulled it forward.

"What happened?" I growled. He stared at me, his pupils dilating. "Tell me NOW."

"Horror says that he flung his ax at Killer- just joking around, of course- and Killer got down on his knees. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt, but he started crying and his target soul thing... it- uh, changed. Then- he just collapsed!" Cross responded quickly, tilting his head to the side. "Do you know why?"

The hallway's lights flickered for a slight moment as I let go of his dusty clothing. "Why would I know?"

"Because, well you guys are pretty close. The rest of us barely talk to Killer- well Horror is a little friendly, but he's confused as well." I didn't respond, clouded with thoughts. I am stuck with only the nagging feeling that Killer betrayed me again, but I never felt a positive emotion near him. Unless Color suddenly became an angsty teen to get past the system, I presume that it might be something else. Maybe I just need another hearty tentacle stab through Kills' chest.

"Just joking around... of fucking course, they'd cover it up," I muttered under my breath, then raised my voice so Cross could hear, "Don't do anything stupid. I'm checking on you later." Then I continued to power walk to the entrance. 

My mind was overflowing with thoughts on how Killer would look like, and the punishments I would hand out like flyers. 

First, I don't think Killer got insanely injured. Probably some scuff marks... from an ax- hell! I cursed. I'm not going to house him in my bed again so- urgh. I don't want to think about what happened last time. But heck, I don't have free will, do I?