XLVI

Everyone was a madman, cadavers, humans and Hunters alike. There was no line separating them, only the extent to which they carried out their maddening actions. And the one who would turn up at the top will be Ace Jaeger, a simple human who broke the definition of simplicity when he decided to hunt, kill and eat other humans. His motive had been hidden under a humane smile and a happy home.

But what was insanity without sanity?

Through the rainstorm, Ace marched into the private cemetery that was behind the tall mansion, the sound of a battle behind him. Mud splattered under his clean shoes, his face as blank as a white sheet of paper. Up ahead, a group of people stood, soaked to the core by the chilling rain. A smirk broke onto his face at the sight of Kara; she was unconscious in one of those people's arms.

Ace hadn't even reached them when he yelled, "search the cemetery! Kidagakash's sarcophagus should have a crescent on its sculpture's forehead!"

"Yes Sir!"

Except for the person carrying Kara, the rest spread out, searching for the right sarcophagus. Ace kept his eyes on Kara's form as he neared them.

"Sit her on the ground," he ordered lightly and the man did just that. He crouched and sat the unconscious lady in the mud, letting her limp body rest against his. "Knife." Ace squatted and dropped the torchlight on the floor. The person took a pocketknife out of his pocket and handed it to Ace. "Hold up her wrist." The man did just that and Ace held the goblet under her hand. He brought out the knife's blade and used it to cut Kara's inner wrist open. Kara groaned and Ace only hmmed, watching as her blood dripped into the goblet.

Ace kept the goblet under her bleeding wrist until it was filled halfway with blood. After that, he threw the knife aside and stood. He glared into the darkness and hissed, "where the hell is Ma—?"

"Miss me?" Maria said as she flashed into view. Ace blankly gazed at her and she held up the bagged organ. "Your delivery is here."

"You're late." Ace took it and eyed it with narrowed eyes.

"Pests." She massaged her neck, her face to the sky.

"Hunters or cadavers?"

"Both. One more stupid and delusional than the other."

"Hmm. Don't worry." He raised his head as one of those who were searching the cemetery called out to him. "Soon, all will be over."

Maria heaved a sigh. "I hope so."

Ace treaded through the darkness and headed for where the people where pointing flashlights at. From afar, the sarcophagus looked like the rest that dotted the cemetery. But the only thing that was different was the crescent symbol on the sculpture's forehead. Unlike the rest, it looked like it was cleaned regularly. Ace snorted at the idea of worshipping a corpse. He motioned them to open the coffin and they did, groaning as they fought to push the top off.

The suspense was incredibly irksome. Ace clicked his tongue.

"Hurry up," he said through his teeth.

They exerted more strength and soon the cover was thrown off. The first thing Ace noticed was the neat clothing she was dressed in and it made Ace groan in irritation.

Such foolish ideals. He handed the goblet to one of them. Ace took the organ out of the bag and held it to the humongous hole in the body's chest. His eyebrows furrowed. It all ends today.

Ace pressed the organ into the hole. The organ simply sat there and stayed beatless. He grabbed the goblet from the person and held it to Kidagakash's cracked, parted lips. Ace tipped the goblet and poured the blood into her mouth. He didn't care if it spilled as he watched the blood flow down the sides of her face. Ace stared and stared, waiting for the right moment. His eyes snapped to her chest when it began to cover up. Even her sickly looking ebony skin began to look alive, loosing its sick tone.