Chapter 12

"Yes, you are right." Meara chirps happily before abruptly falling silent.

She looks around WuJi's home, and several questions come to her mind.

"What happened?" WuJi asks following Meara's eyes as they take in the layout of the small wooden home.

"WuJi, you said that you need my help in getting home right?"

The baby dragon nods, "Mn."

"Why do you think I can help you? I... I mean, I am not smart." The child looks at her feet feeling dejected, "What if I am not smart enough to help you?"

"Who said that you are not smart!?" The baby dragon says, jumping to his feet, and holding Meara's hand, "Do you know, you are the first person who was able to read my name? And you are also the only other person who was able to see mommy?"

This surprises the little girl, for no one except her parents had ever spoken in her defense. "Really? Has no one ever been able to read your name?"

"No. Never." WuJi confirms.

This admission fills the child's heart with hope, 'Maybe I am becoming less stupid.' She thinks to herself and decides that once she is back in her room, she will try to study more diligently.

Meara smiles and looks at the place she had entered from, and asks, "WuJi, the window I entered from is magical, right?"

WuJi nods and explains to Meara all the magical things the window was capable of doing.

When she has heard it all, she realizes that her assumption that WuJi can't step outside Darakt was very wrong.

"So, you can only step out once in forty eight hours?" She asks to confirm.

WuJi nods vigorously and tells her how he only needs to eat fish, once in two days. As soon as he says it, he remembers that today is infact his fish catching day.

"Meara, will you come with me when I go to catch fish tonight?" WuJi asks, excitedly.

"Aigooo!" Meara exclaims before pouting, "WuJi, I am just a child, and kids are not allowed to go near the beach after sunset. It's not safe, you see." The child informs, imparting wisdom.

"Oooooh, is that so?"

"Mn. WuJi, you said that once the ring is in your finger, you become invisible right?" Meara enquires.

WuJi nods.

"Then, that means that even if you come out before sunset, with the ring on your finger, you can still catch fish without being seen, right?" Meara adds excitedly.

Once again WuJi nods, he doesn't understand why Meara is suddenly so excited. He starts scratching his head and his brows knit together.

Meara shakes her head and explains, "WuJi, if you go fishing before sunset, I can come along."

"Ooooh. WuJi was tupid once again!" He says, shaking his head before returning Meara's excited smile with his sweet one.

The two decide to meet at noon after Meara has had her lunch.

The two want to talk more, but just then, Meara's alarm beeps. This time however WuJi doesn't get startled.

"It's time for you to go, isn't it?" He asks in a sad voice.

Meara nods, then she remembers something that she had wanted to ask the baby dragon since the first time they had met. 
"WuJi, how old are you?" Meara asks.

"I don't know. I have lost track of time. Time means nothing to me anymore. Since the time I got separated from my parents, I have barely grown an inch."