Chapter 8:Don't Let Go

We were at the diner in downtown Baltimore. Kidada, Harmonee and Afeni were sitting in a booth and litte farther from me, Devante and Calvin. We took Harmonee shopping first, raiding any store she wanted. I paid for all of it. Then we came here, I let her get anything she wanted.

I was also paying for it. Calvin was across from and Devante, finishing the rest of his food. Devante had just finished next to me and I had barely finished my food. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me to him. I was still picking with my food.

"What's wrong, you're not eating"he whispered in my ear. I turned to him, "Nothing, I'm just trying to make sure everything is perfect for Harmonee and Kidada"I said. "Baby, everything is perfect. Kidada got her daughter back and Harmonee is happy. You can relax now"he said. I looked back at Kidada and Harmonee. Since I've seen her again, I've never seen her so happy.

She and Harmonee were happy. I smiled, "I guess you're right"I said. He smiled, kissing my cheek. "Good, now eat"he said. I picked up my fork and took a bite from my salad, Toronto habits.

While I was filming the movie, I was going through serious training and dieting. Even after I left, I still had to keep my figure for promotional photos and the premiere that coming up in about 6 months. Because of that, I had to work hard to keep my sexy Romantic Movie body. I was eating when Devante spoke. "You know, I'm really proud of what you did today"he said.

I smiled, putting down my fork. "You know, you look real sexy when you're working like that. I had to control myself watching you"he said, kissing my shoulder. I giggled, "You gon have to control yourself a little bit more because your son is right in front of us"I whispered, sipping my drink. "Hey, there's a bathroom up in here. We gotta keep it spontaneous" he said. "Maybe later horndog"I said.

He laughed as I continued to eat. "But really, I'm proud of you. It shows how much you care for her"he said. I smiled, "Trust me, I'd do the same for you or Calvin any day"I said. She smiled and pecked my lips before going back to his food. I was finishing up when Kidada walked up to me.

She bent down next to me and whispered in my ear. "Can I talk to you, outside"she said. "Of course"I said. "I'll be back"I said to Devante, kissing his cheek. I got up and followed Kidada outside.

We stood by the door. "J, I can't thank you enough for bringing Harmonee back. She's having a great time"she said. I smiled, "You don't have to thank me Kidada, I'm just doing what a big sister is supposed to"I said. Her smile kinda faded. "I know we were going back to your hotel right after this but can we make one final stop"she said.

"Sure, did Harmonee need to get something"I said. "No, it's actually for me. Do your parents still live in the same place"she said. "I think so, they're never there so I'm guessing yes. Why do you need to go over there"I said. "I need to see Dad one more time. Just to show him that I didn't turn out how he thought I would. Plus, I know you've been wanting to show them both that you're more than just a rich girl"she said. She had a point.

My parents thought I wouldn't get passed living in that run down apartment. "Okay, I'll pay and we can get out of here"I said before walking back into diner. I quickly grabbed my purse, paid and left. Me, Devante and Calvin and got in our car while Harmonee, Afeni and Kidada got in Afeni's car. I was clutching my purse, trying to calm my nerves.

"Follow Afeni's car"I said as Afeni drove off. "Baby, where are we going"he said, following. "We're going to my parent's house"I said. "No, do you remember what happened the last time we went over there. I'm not gonna let you go through that again"he said.

"I will never see them again. They said that me and Kidada would be nothing. Look at me, I'm famous, I have a son. I did everything they said I couldn't. Kidada is changing her life, left an abusive relationship. Raising her daughter. I need them to see what they're missing out on"I said. He didn't argue with me, looking ahead and following Afeni. About 20 minutes later, we were at my parents house. I looked back at Calvin.

"Stay in here, I'm taking Calvin withe me"I said, starting to get out. He pulled me back by my wrist. His hand intertwined with mine, kissing my hand. "Don't do anything stupid in there"he whispered. I smiled lightly as I reached over and kissed him.

I pulled away and got out, going to the back seat and picking up Calvin. Kidada was already out of the car, holding Harmonee's hand. We walked up the pavement and to the front door. I went first, knocking on the door. I held Calvin closer to me.

"Mommy, what are we doing"Harmonee said. "Me and Auntie Jamila are letting you meet your other grandparents. Grandma Suzanne and Grandpa Jason"she said. I so happy that Calvin isn't old enough to remember the horrible things my parents were about to say. The door opened and I saw my mother. Her face scrunched into anger when she saw Kidada next to me. "What in the world is she doing on my property"my mom yelled.

"Save it Suzanne. You thought you got rid of me, you thought wrong"Kidada said. "Jamila, you're gonna let this bastard child talk to me like this. I'm your mother"she yelled. "No, you're not my mother. Caren was my mother. She was our mother and you and Daddy did everything in your power to ruin her"I said. "oh please, Caren was woman who couldn't keep keep her legs closed. She wanted my husband so she blamed a baby on him"she said. Kidada slapped her.

My mom fell back in the house. Kidada followed her, starting to hit her. Harmonee stood there, I kept Calvin close to me. I kneeled down to Harmonee, putting down Calvin. "Take Calvin and got sit with Uncle Devante alright"I said. She nodded, picking up Calvin and bringing him back to the car.

I followed Kidada into the house. Mom and her were tussling, trying to get punches in. I heard my dad come down. He saw Kidada and my mom and sprang into action. I knew what he was about to do. He charged towards Kidada, I stepped in front front of him.

"You are not gonna do this to her again"I said. "Baby girl, you need to move"he said. "And you need to listen. You and mom ruined my life, you ruined Kidada's life"I yelled. "Are you serious, I gave you the best life. You had everything, anything you wanted we gave you. Kidada wasn't my child, I didn't have to give her anything"he said. "That's where you're wrong. You gave me everything but you. All I wanted was for you and Mom to be there. I wanted you to be my parents. That's all Kidada wanted, she wanted to be loved by her father"I said, I started to cry.

"But don't worry, both me and Kidada won't be the parents you guys were. We're gonna raise our kids to great, not like you. We're doing good, she's raising her daughter to be amazing so she won't have to end up like this. I'm raising my son to respectful like his father, not a deadbeat like me. Oh, and FYI. Me and Devante had a baby and no mater what you say, me and him are happy"I said. I walked over to Kidada, she had just finished on my mother. "Both of you can burn in hell"Kidada said as we both left. I was trying to hold back my tears as I walked back to the car.

Devante had jumped out of the car, waiting for me next to Harmonee. I broke down into tears as he pulled me into a hug. I cried into his chest as he held me tight to his body. He hugged me so hard that I was almost out of breath. "It's okay"he mumbled as he kissed my hair.

I know I looked a mess. Afeni hugged Kidada, comforting her as Harmonee watched. I felt someone cling onto my leg. I pulled away from Devante, looking down at Calvin. He was crying too, "Mommy, why are you crying"he said.

I picked him up, holding him close. "Mommy is fine okay. Just know that I love you Calvin"I said. I heard him sniff, "I love you too mommy"he said. I needed a break.