Chapter 18:How Deep Is Your Love

Jamila's Outfit

Jamila's Outfit

I got to the school, seeing parents holding their children's hand as the walked in. It's been about and hour since Devante left and I made the decision to come. I felt the more I kept this secret from Devante, the weirder I acted the more me and him grew apart. I didn't really care about what the doctor said. I can't keep this huge secret from him anymore.

I walked inside, seeing the inside in it's still elegant form. There were pictured planted on easels and huge boards. I went down the hall and tried to remember where Calvin's class was. To be honest, I've only been here twice and I still don't remember where his class is. I eventually spotted him in one of the rooms, standing next to Devante and who I'm guessing are Tanya's parents.

I walked in, standing next to Devante and slipping my arm around his. "Oh, you must be Jamila"the woman said, I'm guessing Tanya's mother. "Yes, I'm Calvin's mother. And you are"I said holding out my hand. "I'm Naya Morris, this is my husband William"she said shaking my hand. I shook her husband's hand.

"It's so good to meet you, I can finally see what Calvin and Devante always talk about"I said. I smiled lightly, "Well, I hope it's good"I said. "Of course it its, Calvin loves you dearly. It seems like Devante does too"she said. "I love them both the same"I said, looking up at Devante. He put on a fake smile, my smile faded quickly.

The uncomfortable silence was filled when Tanya and Calvin ran over to me. They hugged their arms around my legs, I held their little heads in my hands. "Hi guys"I said. "See Tanya, I told you she would come"Calvin exclaimed, that broke my heart. "And I'm glad that I did because I've heard so many great things about your picture"I said.

"Mommy, you wanna come see it"Calvin said, jumping up and down. I chuckled, "Of course sweetie"I said. He grabbed my hand and pulled me away from Devante and Tanya's parents. He pulled me to a easel that had a huge canvas on it. I wasn't sure exactly what it was mainly because it was just a bunch of paint colors mixed together but I did the motherly smile.

"It's beautiful you guys"I said. They both giggled before running off with another group of friends. I just stood there, trying to figure out what the heck I was looking at. I then felt an arm slip around my waist, Devante. "I've been trying to figure out what this is for the past hour"he said.

I chuckled, "Have you figured it out yet"I said, looking over him. He flashed a smile, "Nah, still trying to figure it out"he said. I chuckled. There was a little bit of silence, "That little boy got the best parts of me. I wouldn't be surprised if he started playing the piano by the time he's five"he said.

I smiled, "That's because you're his father, an amazing one at that"I whispered. "And you're a great mother"he said. I sighed, looking down. "Look Jamila, I didn't mean what I said to you earlier. I know that becoming a mother to Calvin that early wasn't planned, I just wish I didn't force that on you"he said. I looked up at him, "Hey, you didn't force anything on me. There was no way I could've let that handsome little boy go without a mother. I did that because I loved him and you. And you were right, I do have to step up. You're not his only parent, I am too"I said.

"Trust my J, you're a great mother to Calvin. And I know you're gonna be a great mother to our baby"he said. I froze up quickly, he freaking knows. He reached over and pressed my baggy blazer close to me, exposing my growing bump. "Why didn't you tell me"he said, his voice calm. "If we're gonna talk about this. We need to talk about this outside"I said.

He nodded and grabbed my hand. We left the classroom and went down the hall. He pulled me into the auditorium. He sat on the stage, I was trying to find the words to say. "How far long are you"he said, I rubbed my stomach.

"Five months"I said. I could tell he was trying to stay calm, "Devante, trust me. I wanted to tell you, I wanted too. I just couldn't"I said, feeling tears forming. "Why Jamila, that's our baby. Why couldn't you tell me"he said. "Because me and the baby are both sick. The doctor said not to tell anyone until we both got better. We're just getting worse"I said, running my fingers through my hair. He sighed, running his hands down his face. "What do you mean you're both sick"he said.

I sniffed, "the birth control I was using was defective. My reproductive system is all types of messed up. It was only hurting the baby at first, then I got sick" I said, breaking down in tears. He pulled me to him, letting me cry into his chest. I knew the makeup I have on was beyond ruined. "I wish I was there with you, I really do. But don't worry, I'm here now"he said, rubbing my hair.

I sniffed, pulling away. "This is not how I saw my first pregnancy going"I said, wiping my eyes. "Hey, as long as we get a beautiful happy baby. I'm all good"he said. I smiled. He jumped down from the stage, standing in between my legs. He put his hands on my stomach, I put my hands on his.

"What is it"he whispered. I smiled, "It's a baby girl"I said. He smiled, I knew he always wanted a little girl. "I get to name her"he said. "Nope, not this time. You named Calvin, I get to name her"I said. He rolled his eyes, "Fine"he mumbled.

I already had a name. "Camari. Camari Danielle"I said. He smiled, looking down at my stomach. He kissed it gently, "Perfect, that's her name"he said. I smiled lightly.

He cupped my cheek, pecking my lips. "I will do whatever I have to do to make sure you baby girl are healthy, I promise you that"he said.l smiled, let's just hope everything goes good from now on.