Chapter 1: District 12

All idea rights goes to the person who wrote The Hunger Games trilogy! Thank you!

        I was sitting near the fireplace, rocking my chair back and forth. Our only pet cat, Caramel, yawned and stretched from somewhere beside me. Yet, I took no notice of her, nor the rest of the family. We were all staring at the flames dancing in the fireplace. Mother sighed. My sister sighed. I sighed. I was only 7 when I had lost my brother in the Hunger Games and ever since, my sister and I had to support the family. My mother was too old for such jobs at the mines, my sister and I were too young. We usually went hunting when we had the time. At least we made a living.

        The thing that my mother, sister, and I were worried about was the reaping. I was 16, and my sister was 12, which made both of us a likely victim to get picked. I kept staring at the fireplace, and the flames started dancing, for me, and my family. I might have just imagined it, but the flames seemed to be warning me something. Something bad, maybe even fatal. I shook my head. I couldn't think negative thoughts before the reaping. My elbows were on my knees, leaning forwards, almost kissing the flames.

        'Come on girls,' my mother interrupted my thoughts. 'It's time for the reaping.'

        That was the sentence that we had be dreading all day. The reaping. The Hunger Games. The 37th annual Hunger Games were about to begin.

        My sister and I rapidly stood up, looking at each other. We both knew this day would come. Or the day that one of us were going to get picked, er, reaped. We both robotically went upstairs to get ready, ironing our dresses for the last time. We both wore a simple blue dress, but this was quite fancy for us. We never, and I repeat never, wore dresses. I swiftly put my dress on and tied my hair into a braid. My braid was messy, but it would have to do.

        I went downstairs to meet up with my mother and sister. Of course my sister wasn't ready yet. I smirked. Me smirking was the closest thing we got to smiling. 'Vanessa!' my mother called. Vanessa came down, a grim expression on her face.

        'Beautiful,' my mother said. 'Perfection.'

        We all knew that my mother was acting strong for us, and we were very grateful about it. 'Thank you mother,' I muttered under my breath, in case I got picked, er, reaped.

        Then, we all headed out of the door, greeted by the warm breeze in the air.