Wilder

"I need twenty on pump six," I told the gas station attendee. I handed over my credit card and gave the old lady behind me a polite smile heading back out to my car. I checked my watch for the fifth time. If I didn't hurry my ass up, I was going to miss Violet all together.

I wiggled the nozzle to the gas and thought about the look on her face when she saw me for the first time. I imagined her sweet smile and her perfect white teeth that she only showcased for me. It wasn't hard to make her smile, but to get her laughing, that was something else. But I mastered it over the years. I missed hearing it.

My phone buzzed in my pocket — another call from Amber. I rolled my eyes. The girl was relentless. "What?"

"I told you, I'm out of town." I stuffed the nozzle back in its holder and bit down on my lip, irritated in the matter of a minute talking to her. "Because I have plans. Yes, plans with a girl. Saint's right."

I walked around to the driver's side. The old lady gave me a look, climbing into her little station wagon. "I don't care what you think, Amber. Look, I got to go."

I climbed in my car, shaking my head. According to Amber, I was the biggest sleaze in the entire town. And I didn't give a flying fuck about anyone but myself. I started up my car. What Amber thought about me didn't matter. I gave no flying fucks about what a girl who slept with my entire friend's list thought about me.

I cared about people, one to be exact because she was a good fucking human, and she never let me down like everyone else in my life.

I looked away from the scar on my arm, tightening my grip on the steering wheel.

Another ten minutes driving through the city and winding around all the little diners and shops I pulled into the parking lot of Violet's apartment complex. My truck came to a slow stop right in front of the brick building.

I shot her a text letting her know I missed her and asking her what she was doing. It took her a couple of minutes to respond.

I smiled, knowing she was still home. I jumped out of my car, filled with anticipation. And then I backtracked and went to my back seat. I pulled open the door and grabbed the gift I got for her. I knew it was stupid, but it reminded me of her.

My fingers curled around the soft lion's head, and I walked towards the door. I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection and stopped long enough to run a hand through my hair, making sure I looked alright.

Two girls pushed the door open, spilling onto the sidewalk, laughing and talking with one another. When they saw me, they stopped and smiled.

"Hey," I said, being polite. These were possibly classmates of Violet; I needed to be on my best behavior.

"Are you new?" The slender redhead asked, looking me over. Her green eyes went from the top down to my shoes. She smiled, pleased with what she saw.

I shook my head. "Visiting a friend." I squeezed the lion's head feeling stupid holding it.

"Aww. We are so sad. How long are you going to be in town?" The blonde chimed in.

"A day or two."

"There's a party tomorrow. You should come."

Her friend nudged her in the side. "You and your friend."

"I'll see what she wants to do," I agreed. "Where's this party at?" I couldn't see Violet wanting to go. But I was always down for a party.

The redhead pulled a sheet of paper loose and handed it over. "Here's the address. It's a costume party. We're off to hang flyers around campus."

They resumed their chatter heading down the sidewalk away from Violet's apartment. And I was free to surprise her again. I hurried inside and headed up the stairs. Violet always complained about walking up two flights of stairs to get to her place. It wasn't so bad.