Wilder

I couldn't stand it any longer. I walked back into the living room and picked up my phone. I had a text. Relief flooded my body. And then anxiety because I was afraid to read what she said.

I opened her text.

If I was sorry, I should prove it. I walked across the room, a big ass grin on my face. Violet wasn't mad. She was flirting with me. This was different.

I could prove it — any way she wanted me to.

My smile turned into a frown when I saw Bing's shoes by the door. I couldn't just take off hours away from home. I couldn't bring my twelve-year-old brother either.

I texted Lorna and asked her if she would keep Bing for a couple of days while I went to see Violet. She assured me she would love to and told me how glad she was to see me putting in the effort to fix things.

I packed up a duffel bag and set it by the door. I was going to leave first thing in the morning.

***

"Alright, Kid. I'll see you in three days." I told Bing, loading my bag in the trunk of my car.

"Alright." Bing stood next to Lorna, happy that I was leaving to see Violet. It still didn't make me feel better about taking off and leaving him. But he said he would be fine.

"Have a good time. And tell my daughter I love her," Lorna said, giving me a wave.

I walked over and pulled them in for a hug. "Thank you, guys. I love you both."

I let them go, and the old house caught my eye. The first time I saw Violet was on that porch. I was playing with my cars, driving them off the porch, and watching them fall down the steps when she came up.

She was beautiful, full of light — a big smile on her face. I pretended I didn't notice her and whipped another car down the stairs, and I'll never forget the sound of her laugh—it made me laugh.

I wanted to know everything about her.

I used the road trip to clear my mind. Making things right with Violet was my chance to be the person I knew I wanted to be, to do things right for Violet and me.

I left all the negative shit I had done lately behind, and I focused on what was waiting for me in the big city.

I played all of Violet's favorite songs and spent the ride singing at the top of my lungs like a lunatic. I was nervous, scared even. I white-knuckled the steering wheel trying to forget about the fear and focus on the outcome. I was going to win back Violet's friendship and maybe even more.

When I pulled up to her apartment, I let out a huge sigh and checked myself in the mirror. A couple of girls were sitting out on the picnic tables studying. When I headed up the sidewalk to the doors of the apartment, they stopped what they were doing and smiled at me.

"Welcome back," the blonde one said, her smile getting even bigger.

They knew who I was. And that wasn't a good thing seeing I left after smashing my fist into Mac's face.

"Thanks. Glad to be back." I gave them a wink and went inside the apartment. I took the stairs two at a time on edge. I needed to get the surprise over with as soon as possible.

When I made it to her door, I knocked right away, readying myself for the moment when I laid eyes on her again.

The door opened. But it wasn't Violet. It was Kat.

"She's not here. She's in class."

"Fuck." I ran a hand through my hair. "I didn't think she had any classes today."