Violet

I had to go back to school. But I was only going back to get my things and come home. I didn't tell Mom or Wilder. I knew they would probably be upset with me. But it was what I wanted to do. Mom wanted me to become somebody. The problem was I had no idea who I wanted to be.

I filled out applications for the whole cab ride back to school. If I had a job to go to right away, maybe they wouldn't be so mad at me. I even considered starting nursing school nearby so I could still do something and be near Wilder. I never wanted to be a nurse—but helping other people, it could be something.

The cab pulled in front of the school, and I paid for the ride. I wasn't here for anything other than dropping out. And then I would go over to my apartment and break the news to Kat. We could say our goodbyes, and I could be on my way before it was dark.

"Haven't seen you around lately," Mac said, walking up behind me. He fell into step with me. His black and blue flannel made his eyes even darker.

I hadn't talked to Mac since the party. And I was sorry. I had used him for my own benefit. I was trying to escape the feelings Wilder made me feel. And that wasn't fair to him.

"I've been home. A lot has happened. I'm actually leaving school for good."

He looked a little disappointed to hear I was giving up on college life or maybe any chance he might have with me. I wasn't sure and I didn't want to be conceited.

"That's too bad. But I hope everything works out for you."

"Thanks. I think it will," I told him. "And same for you. I hope all your art takes you someplace amazing."

He scratched his head nodding. "I hope so too. Well, see you around Violet."

I watched him head the opposite direction then I was going and I slipped inside the main hall heading to the office.