Wilder

I leaned over the glass case, looking at all the rings. So many choices, so many to choose. It was enough to send a guy right back out the door. How did someone even know what worked? How did you cram all the love you had for someone into a ring?

I wanted to ask Violet to marry me. I wanted to make it the best moment of her entire life like she did for me since we were kids. But staring at the rings, I was overwhelmed and unsure.

Fuck.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" The gentleman behind the counter asked in his flawless suit. He didn't know the first thing about Violet.

"I'm not sure what I'm looking for," I said. I pulled my phone out of my jacket pocket and dialed Lorna.

"Could you meet me somewhere?"

"Um. Yes. Is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine. I just need your help."

"Then, I'll be right there."

When I hung up, I texted her the address, and I went outside to wait for her to show up.

***

Lorna didn't take long to get there. She stared at the Jewelry store with a grin on her face. "Wilder. Are you about to make me the happiest mom in the world?"

That was relieving to hear. That made the next part even easier. "That's the plan. But I have no idea what I am doing."

She clasped her hands together excitedly. "Whatever you do, she is going to love it."

I ran a hand through my hair. "Nothing in there reminds me of Violet."

"What reminds you of Violet?"

"That's the thing. I don't think there's anything in there that does her justice. She's everything."

She touched my arm. "You are such a sweet guy. My daughter is lucky to have you." She pulled her purse off of her shoulder and pulled something out of it—a small red box.

She took a seat on the bench in front of the store, and I sat down next to her waiting for her to open the box.

"When I had Violet, her real dad gave me a gift. He wasn't around a lot. But he meant well. The circumstances were a mess. Anyways, he gave me this."

I took the ring. I'd never seen a diamond that color.

"That's why I named her Violet." She smiled. "It was a part of his family for a long time. And I held onto it. I always knew the day would come when you wanted to marry her, Wilder. And I knew this would come in handy because it's not just some stupid diamond. It's more than that."

"Holy shit. I don't even know what to say, Lorna."

"You don't have to say anything. I know what my daughter means to you. You can do whatever you want with it. Use the diamond on another band; add more diamonds. It's up to you. But I think this stone needs to be a part of it."

"I know it does," I said, agreeing with her. I kissed her on the cheek and hugged the shit out of her. "Thank you. I swear I will take care of your daughter for the rest of my life if she says yes."

"I know you will. You've been doing that since you were kids. This is meant to be, honey."

She was right. Violet was meant to be with me, and I was meant to be with Violet—forever.