Violet

"Do you think its too much?" Mom asked, moving the phone around the house so I could see her attempt at decorating for Christmas. "I did the garland just how you like it."

I watched her sip her wine, decked out in her fuzzy sweater I sent her the week before. She had a thing for comfort, and she called me right away to tell me how much she loved it.

Two weeks had gone by since the Wilder and Mac incident. And now Christmas was nearing, and I was sitting in my apartment instead of at home with my mother. It was a stupid decision, but I was overwhelmed after Wilder's visit.

"Violet."

Mom broke through my thoughts about Wilder.

"What do you think about this tablecloth?"

"It's great." I lied. I didn't even look at it. I was near tears.

"Violet Anne. If you don't tell me what is going on."

I sighed, sucking in the tears that threatened to fall.

"He made a fool of me in front of half the school."

"He was drunk. You and I both know Wilder is harmless. He was just jealous of this new boy you were kissing." She smiled at the thought of a boy showing interest in her daughter. Like it was so strange to hear. It was. I had one boyfriend my entire life. It was quick and over in a month.

A lot of kissing and many tears, and after a weak attempt at sex in his parent's basement, I called it quits because he was way too possessive. I felt nothing for him, and he felt too much. He was emotional and a bit on the crazy side.

"So, tell me about this boy," she said, climbing into her big comfy chair ready for the gossip.

I rolled my eyes. "There's nothing to tell. I met him on a walk at the art show. He gave me this necklace he made and tried to kiss me." I explained to her how I shot him down and made him feel rejected.

"And what happened at the party that your best friend would want to throw him in the bushes?"

"My best friend was making out with a girl and ditched me." I pointed out. "Mac showed up, and I just went for it because I was upset." That was the first time I ever admitted why I kissed Mac to anyone.

"So, you kiss other boys when you're jealous. And Wilder punches them when he's jealous."

"He hooked up with a girl. He's not jealous. He's just an idiot who can't control his temper." I sighed. He wasn't an idiot. He was my best friend. And this was going to be the first holiday I wasn't with him—or my mother.

"He loves you, kid. And I know he's already blown your phone up trying to apologize. So, let him."

She was right. "I think I'm going to come home."

Me coming home thrilled my mom. And I promised I would pack and head out as soon as I could. As soon as I got off the phone with her I pulled up Wilder's picture on my phone and stared at him. The way he looked in the last picture I snapped of him it made my stomach do flips. There was magic whenever I laid eyes on him.

I texted him.

I miss you.

Miss you too

Violet, I'm so sorry. I'm an idiot.

I know you are. I'm glad you're willing to admit it finally.

Haha asshole

I'm coming home for the holiday.

The best news I heard all week! I'll be waiting with bells on