Our First Call

The alarm sounded for aid car 19 which was Sullivan and I. I was nervous for how this day was going to go because whenever I like someone I tend to talk too much and Sullivan doesn't seem to be the talking type he doesn't even eat meals with us just sits in his office like a turtle hiding in his shell. "So what made you come back to Seattle"? I asked while glancing over at him but making sure to keep an eye on the road. He never responded so for the rest of the ride I just kept quiet. After we got done at the call and got back in the truck to drive back to the station. Sullivan asked me to drive to this overlook. When we pulled up he got out and sat on one of the rocks. I stayed in the aid car for a few more minutes but got out and went to sit next to him. I noticed he had a tear streaming down his face. I put my hand on his and looked at him. "Hey what's wrong. I know you aren't the talking type but if you need someone I'm here for you". He looked at me and said "when you asked why I came back I didn't answer because I don't even know why I did. My wife and I we use to come here every Sunday and watch the sunset but when she died I swore to never get close to anyone again". We sat there for two hours and I listened to him talk about whatever he felt like sharing and it was the happiest I've felt in months. When we got back to the station he went back to his office I knocked on the door and asked if he wanted to eat supper with the team and I. He said "no thanks and Herrera thanks again for earlier. I haven't been able to open up to anyone like that in a while". I smiled and said "you're welcome and you can call me Andy if you want".