Chapter 1: New Beginnings

Ever since I was a little girl, my mother would always tell me about this magical foreign land. A land filled with all kinds of creatures. Demons, gods and goddesses, fairies and many more. Everytime she told me a story, it would surround itself around a group of friends, traveling across the continent. I loved playing that I was one of them. One day I would be a brave knight, and another I would a powerful wizard capable of all sorts of magic. The friends she told me about, faced many different dangers on their path. And as the little kid I was, I always wanted to go there one day. And like any other would have, my mother promised me we would go there together some day.

The first time I ever remember visiting my uncle, was when I was still just 5 years old. Back when my mother was still alive. I don't really remember him, but apparently he was supposed to be the only family I had left. So in the middle of summer vacation I moved to Kamakura village, to live with him. I had been sitting in the train for hours by then, and couldn't wait for it to be over.

It was late when I arrived in Kamakura, and when I first walked out on the station, I thought my uncle forgot me. But then someone stood up at the end of the station building, and started waving at me. He was a pretty tall and skinny guy, though it's not too much and he seemed to work out once in a while too. He had straight black hair and indigo eyes to compliment it. Before walking over to him I looked around- making sure it was actually me he meant. And on the whole drive to my uncles house he was the only one speaking. Apparently he just worked for my uncle, and he couldn't pick me up because of work. Now that I think about it, this guy did seem quite young to be my uncle.

"Oh yeah that's right!" he said, like he had forgotten something important, "I haven't told you my name yet. I'm Hiroshi Yamamoto."
I just nodded at him while still looking out the window.

"And you are?"

"Leila."

"That's a pretty weird name. Is it Japanese?"

I looked annoyed at him, and he just took up his hands apologizing, before he quickly realised he was still driving the car. For a while we just sat there with only the noise of the car surrounding us.

"Leilana Fujimoto."

He seemed confused, "What?"

"That's my name. And no, it's from my fathers home country."

"Really? Where's your dad from?"

"No idea."

"Oh... Well," he scratched the back of his head, "How long have you been on your way here?"

"For a few days, my mother and I lived in America, so that's why the orphanage didn't know about my uncle before now."

****

When we got to Kamakura, Hiroshi turned down a small gravel road with a sign saying "Tsurugaoka Hachimangu" on it. Apparently my uncle owns the local shrine, and that's where I would be living from then on. It's a beautiful place really, and I didn't have that much of a problem moving to Japan in the first place, but a shrine? Seriously?

"Just wait here, then I'll find someone to show you to your room." he yelled as he ran off.

'Great!' I thought, 'Now the only person I know here left me!'

I don't know for how long I stood there, but it was too long.

Eventually a blond girl came up to me and asked why I was just standing there. I told her how Hiroshi just left, and she started laughing,

"He has this thing of leaving people. Come on, I'll show you where it is." she started walking, still giggling, "Oh, and I'm Nephele by the way."
"Leila."