Chapter 17

Humans had the wonderful ability to ignore events that felt awkward to bring up. Especially when you are supposed to be enemies. 

When I woke up the next day, Draco hadn't moved. On the floor in front of us, house elves had placed steaming plates of oatmeal and hot chocolate on trays. 

Have I ever mentioned how I loved house elves? 

The other Slytherins had left earlier, leaving us alone in the common room. I found it strange, considering Crabbe, Goyle and Stephanie Black were also staying over the Christmas holidays. 

Stephanie is a quiet girl. The only time she had caught my attention was when she used her doe eyes to get herself out of trouble. Needless to say that it worked. 

As I focused on keeping my eyes open, Draco got up, folded his blanket, grabbed a tray and left without a word. I pursed my lips but did not say anything as he walked in front of me before climbing the steps leading to the boys dormitory. 

I wasn't going to force him out of his silence, I was a Slytherin, I understood. But I won't lie and say that it didn't affect me in any way. 

Sighing, I bent down to retrieve the tray, balancing it on my hip while gathering the end of my dress and collecting the ornaments I had taken out of my hair. It was time to get into something more comfortable. 

Ten minutes later, wearing a black hoodie and hiking boots, I was back in the common room, my hair braided down my back. Sitting around a table, Malfoy was having a heated discussion with Crabbe and Goyle. 

My curiosity was telling me to stay around and eavesdrop but I knew it wasn't the time. I shouldn't push too hard. Besides, I desperately needed my alone time. I hadn't ran in weeks.

Turning my back to the small gathering in the common room, I made my way to the entrance of the school and broke into a light jog, sinking in the snow until my ankles. 

Such a brilliant idea. Yes Rose, go for a run in the snow. Twist your ankle while you're at it, it'll be fun! Urquhart would be livid if I couldn't play quidditch for the rest of the season. 

Being hard headed, I kept running, enjoying the bite of the cold against my face. I ran on the bordure of the Forbidden Forest, wondering exactly what kind of creatures hid between the trees. No one that would be insane enough to be outside in this weather.

"Rose? What're ya doin' out 'ere?"

A large shadow separated itself from the forest, marching towards me. I slowed my pace, recognising Hagrid's face in the midst of his bushy beard.

"Good morning, sir," I smiled, slightly out of breath.

"It's dangerous out 'ere, you shouldn't be alone," he grumbled.

"I'm not alone, am I, sir? You can protect me."

Of course, I didn't need to be protected but Hagrid blushed.

"I guess so," he stammered. "I'm off to feed Fluffy...."

My eyes lit up. "May I come, sir?"

He hesitated. "Well, Fluffy's not used to visitors."

"I'll make myself discreet. Please, sir?" I clasp my hands to my chest, pleading.

"Oh alright."

I followed behind as he walked through the snow, closer and closer to his hut. I had perfectioned the innocent look long ago. I was a master. My intentions weren't bad, or sly, like they usually were; I truly wanted to learn more about magical animals. There is only so much you can learn from books.

𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥?
〚𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚘𝚢