Chapter 38

Harry raised his wand, pressing his lips tightly together. A green snake slithered out of his wand, poking through the glowing skull flying above the tower. 

The symbol the death eaters left behind after a murder. 

A single drop of Potter's blood had been enough to awaken my connection to the Dark Lord. 

Who was in power? I wish I could tell. Every one of my actions was filtered through a red curtain, giving me a hazy view of the world. 

I turned away from the boy who lived, holding back from the sudden envy to kill him. I didn't know if I was able to perform the killing curse, but I was not willing to try. 

I threw him his invisibility cloak.

"Move it, Potter," I snapped, horrified to discover a whistle to my words.

He didn't bother answering, disappearing under his cloak. 

I hissed, a splitting headache separating my head in two and bit my lip. I had to focus. 

My blood turned cold as Bellatrix burst from the stairwell, followed by her companions --how they had managed to cross the gaping hole between flights of stairs is a mystery-- frantically looking around. 

My fear spiked, allowing Voldemort to gain more control over me. How had they managed to escape the Order?

"Where is he?" cried Bellatrix. "Who has summoned the dark mark?"

"I did," I said. Or perhaps it was Voldemort.

It must have been Voldemort, as the crazy woman froze, blinking uncertainly. "My lord?"

"Such a pity," I snarled. "That I had to kill Dumbledore myself since you fools were too busy fighting that pathetic resistance group."

Most of them flinched, but a man carefully approached.

"My lord, why possess the mudblood? Any of us would have been honored to..."

"Quiet, Yaxley," barked Voldemort, fighting for control. "She had reached into my mind, I am only doing the same. She shall find out the consequences of playing with magic."

"Where is Dumbledore?"

With a surge of determination and a hint of panic, I was able to speak, overpowering his will.

"Broken and dead at the bottom of the tower," I croaked, praying to any God listening that members of the Order would not interrupt us. Bad enough I was putting Potter in danger, I didn't need others harming themselves. "You must return to me."

"Return to you, my lord?" frowned the werewolf. "What about the Potter boy?"

I gritted my teeth, a voice screaming inside my head. "He is mine. I will deal with him when the time comes, I have told you this already!"

He bowed his head. "Of course, my lord."

"Come closer," I sniffed disdainfully.

But as they reached out their arm, a searing burn washed over my body, making me fall to my knees. I could feel my consciousness failing me, life seeping from my skin. I arched my back.

Watching over me like the crow of death stood the ghost of Voldemort, floating above my head. 

He sneered down at me, the pain flaring. "You surprise me, muggle."

I had underestimated the Dark Lord. My fatal mistake.

"Where is Dumbledore?" he howled. "Where is the old man?"

"I killed him," I breathed, the simple movement sapping my energy. "Just what you wanted, wasn't it? I am a true Slytherin, Dark Lord, I do what is necessary."

He floated down to my height. "Necessary, you say?"

"The only way for your Death Eaters to leave us alone," I grunted, closing down my emotions. 

Strangely, the pain helped, overwhelming whatever turmoil was happening inside me.

"Why can't I read your mind?" he mused.

My voice failed me, refusing to obey and get me out of the trouble I was burying myself in. I couldn't give in to the panic. The shield surrounding my mind was the only thing protecting Dumbledore and Potter.

"Bella, make her talk."

"Crucio!" she squealed, looking quite insane.

I was already in pain, but my body couldn't take the strain. I screamed, crumbling to the ground and twitching, white dots dancing in front of my eyes. 

But I would not show him my mind. 

The pain only strengthened my determination. I would not yield.

"Stupefy!"

The pain was reduced enough for my body to go slack.

"How did you get in here, boy?" roared Voldemort.

"I am a Death Eater, remember?" snapped a voice I knew well. "Rose! You taught me to fight. Please, show them how strong you are!"

I pushed myself onto my elbows, enough to see Draco stand in front of his former companions, fighting for our lives. 

With a jolt, Potter threw off his cloak, hurling disarming spells in every direction. Perhaps he wasn't a coward after all. 

I looked up to Voldemort with newfound calmness. I knew exactly what I had to do.

"You don't have a physical body," I said. "You can't fight."

He snarled, his eyes darting in every direction.

"I called you here," I continued, pushing myself to my knees. "You are controlled by my will and my will only."

I tightened my hands into fists, as if crushing his bald head with the simple movement. His features hardened, his shoulders stiffening. 

I observed my hand, suddenly aware of the power I had over him. I slammed my hand down onto the ground, bringing him down to his knees.

"Bring your pathetic excuse for followers with you and disappear," I hissed.

Crawling towards Bellatrix, I dragged her towards the Dark Lord, who trashed against invisible bonds. Despite the burning of my limbs, I tugged her forearm until it touched his ghastly skin and she shriveled away.

"Call for all of them!" I ordered, tugging at the remaining of my strength.

"We will meet again," he said, his voice coming from far, far away.

He turned to dust, melting into thin air, noise dying out around me. 

As I fell back, I could only hope for the best. 

A/N Here we go! The battle scene. Too bad the exams won't be cancelled... By the way, people, if you guys notice any mistakes (Thanks @fwrick ! :)) or are confused by something, don't be afraid to let me know!

- Aella

𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥?
〚𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚘𝚢