Chapter 10

The next morning, all of Sophie's instincts yelled at her to scamper out of the door and teleport to the Shores of Solace as quickly as possible. It took all of her willpower not to, even though a tiny, sensible part of her knew that she should get ready, eat breakfast and do her hair.

So, instead of running out the door, she put her emotions on a tight leash, went downstairs, and had breakfast with Grady and Edaline

Of course, they noticed her behaviour, but Sophie decided it was her role as a teenager to clue them in as little as possible. In fact, most of the conversations fell into an endless loop:

Grady would ask:" Hey kiddo, what's wrong, you look really nervous today, couldn't sleep?"

To which Sophie would respond:" I'm fine, I'm just going out"

Edaline would them chime in with a" Where are you going?"

And Sophie would simply answer: "Somewhere... It's not a big deal"

Which Grady, of course, would then counteract with" Then why are you so nervous?"

And the cycle would repeat itself. Over and over and over again. Until finally, finally, Sophie finished breakfast, and rushed upstairs with a chirped" Bye mom, Bye dad!".

"See you kiddo!" Grady responded as he gathered up papers that had been littered around the desk.

"Bye sweetie, Good luck!" Edaline called from her place in the kitchen."I'll be up in a second"

"Ok!" Sophie said, turning,and half stumbling, half running up the stairs.

"Now... where is that outfit..." Sophie muttered to herself as she dug through the pile of clothes that Biana had unearthed the previous day. Finally, she found it and tried it on.

An ice-blue,loose shirt settled neatly over her torso, and a pure white skirt-that was much too short in Sophie's opinion-fluttered around her waist.

Originally, Biana had wanted to stuff her into some sort of ridiculously frilly bright pink gown, but Sophie outright refused. She was not getting into one of those things. Although, Sophie noticed, Biana still found a way to include sparkles. In fact, the whole of her skirt glittered with them, so whenever she twirled, it looked as if an arc of stars swirled around her. Her shirt had a similar effect, with her collarbones being framed by sheer, glittering fabric.

Sophie frowned. Maybe this was a bit overkill. She was just about to rummage around for a new outfit when Edaline's lilting voice came from the doorway:

"Sophie, you look gorgeous" Edaline exclaimed.

Sophie positively beamed" You really think so?" She gestured to her outfit" I thought it might be a bit too much..."

Edline tutted" No, I'm sure Keefe will love it, Sophie"

Sophie gaped" How did you know?"

"Well" She began ticking off points with her fingers" All of that time you spent at the healing centre with him, how flushed you were at your last visit-even for your standards, the fact that you constantly invited him over more than Fitz. But I am confused. Why haven't you visited him since the last time you were there?" She asked

It felt so good to have someone to talk to that the whole story flew from Sophie's lips before she could stop herself. When she was done, Edaline pulled her into a reassuring hug before offering to do Sophie's hair. Sophie gladly accepted, of course, being as bad at anything girly as she was wasn't a trait Sophie necessarily liked about herself.

So she let Edaline pull Sophie's blond locks into a braided bun atop her head. When Edaline finished Sophie could only stare. She actually looked...Pretty. Gazing up at Edaline, Sophie tightly embraced her, before jumping off her balcony and teleporting to the Shores of Solace(She still didn't know how lord Cassius could say it with a straight face).

But as Sophies gold-flecked eyes settled on the towering mansion, all she could think was, It's time.