Chapter 5

Keefe's eyes flew open the second Sophie careened back into the all to familiar chair of the healing centre. Both were breathing hard, chests heaving. There had been something different about Keefe's mind before she dragged him out. Every movement had felt like swimming through thick syrup and had left her completely exhausted.

She leaned her head against the back of the chair, fighting to stay aware, but the voices were already becoming a blur, and the figure of Mr.Forkle bending over her was nothing more than a fuzzy outline. Sighing, she gave up and drifted off to sleep.

A few hours later, Sophie lay in one of the cots in the healing centre, not yet inclined to open her eyes, but trying to take in as much as she could nonetheless.

Soft breathing sounded to her right, accompanied by the chirp of birds from outside, and the rattling of Elwin organizing various elixirs. By the feel of the foamy-plastic object under her, she knew she was on the cot that she had spent weeks on when her arm had been injured by Umber. Sophie blew out a long breath through her nose before finally opening her eyes.

Elwin was indeed organising dozens of vials, and Keefe was asleep on the cot beside her's. She smiled gently at the sight, and murmured under her breath"I'm so glad you're back".

The corners of Keefe's lips lifted" I'm glad I'm back too"

Sophie's face turned Fushia."I thought you were asleep!"She squealed.

"It was all part of the trick Foster, all part of the-"

Keefe was interrupted by Elwin jamming what must have been 2 dozen elixirs under their noses and prompting them" Drink all of these, I would start with the best looking ones first, they taste the worst."

"Oh, I remember" Sophie muttered and Elwin grinned at her.

He began walking away before he paused and turned back towards them" Also, avoid any... Emotionally charged conversations, if you know what I mean." He smirked and walked away.

Sophie blushed and turned to Keefe "What does he mean?"

He rolled his eyes" Still rocking the adorably oblivious thing I see, some things never change"

Sophie simply flicked her wrist at him and he snickered, before both of them guzzled down a sparkly purple elixir, and had to suppress their gags.

"This tastes like what a fart smells like!" Keefe proclaimed, grabbing a box of prattle pins to wash away the taste.

"Got to agree with you on that one" Sophie chocked out, wishing she had been as prepared as Keefe.

"Hey, you don't get to complain! You have like 6 elixirs on there, I have 20!"

Sophie giggled" Well, if you don't like the taste, maybe you shouldn't try the almost dying thing again!"

"Aw I can't let you have all the fun now, can I?"Keefe teased, But his voice was slightly strained.

Sophie put a hand on his shoulder, looking into his shocking ice-blue eyes, and transmitted to him, so no one else could hear:

How are you really holding up? Don't try to lie, I'll know if you do

Keene sniggered, And here I was thinking I was the empath

I think you're forgetting that I can hear your thoughts right now, Mr Sensen

He turned his head away, staring at the wall as if it was the most interesting thing he had ever seen, I'm fine .

That's not really an answer, Sophie conveyed, gently turning his face so that he was once again looking at her her

Fine. It's been...Hard. Everyone keeps looking at me as if I've grown 3 heads, and that just keeps reminding me that I'm supposed to be "Changed", whatever that means.

Sophie understood, she'd been through the same thing before, Take your time, she transmitted, I'll be here if you need me, Keefe. I'll always be here if you need me.