Chapter 32

The PTX families and gang rushed to the car, Kevin carrying Avi in his arms, all of them throwing themselves into the car and Kevin in the front, in the driver's seat. Shelly and Oluwale on the sides of Avi while a thin sheet of sweat formed on his head, the contractions growing increasingly more painful by the minute. Kevin sped out of the parking lot and onto the motorway. His mother in the seat next to him.

"Kevin, be careful! "

"My boyfriend is about to give birth in the back of this car and that could kill him!! "

"just don't run into anyone or anything, please. Quick but safe. "

"Yes ma, Avi how you holding up, baby? "

"it hUUUUUUUUrts... My back and chest are hurting a little. "

"That's not good. "

Avi shot his mother a horrified look.

"The chest pain. The back pain is completely normal. Kevin drive faster!!! "

"I'm already 10 miles over the speed limit, Shelly! "

"Owwwww... mommy... "

"Wally, give him your hand to hold onto. "

"Oh, you don't-- "

"No, it's alright. "

Kevin's father stated, hand his hand to Avi to hold onto with his.

"In this family, we tend to have a “bone-crushing grip” according to my friends. Just warning you. "

Turns out Shelly was right. The next time Avi was hit with a contraction, he practically crushed the poor man's hand in his.

"Good grief, boy! "

"Kevin be careful!! "

"I'm trying--"

The sounds of sirens cut him off and red and blue flashed his vision. No one saw his next move coming.

"shit! "

"Kevin Olusola! Language! "

"Never heard that one, Kevin! "

Mitch tried to lighten the mood but Kevin wasn't taking it.

"Not the time nor place, Mitchell! "

"gee sorry. just tryna lighten the mood. "

Mitch was grumbling as Kevin pulled over. The officer walked over to their car slow as ever.

"Can he not go--"

"Good evening, folks. "

"Evening--"

"Officer, I really don't--"

"Think you should be pulled over? You were 10 above the speed limit, kid, whaddya hafta say for yaself?! "

"My boyfriend is in labour and will have a child at any second. "

There was silence, Kevin thinking the officer actually believed him. But of course, he didn't because he burst out laughing. Kevin gave him the hardest screw known to man-kind.

"I don't see the joke here, Officer. "

"You really expect me to believe-"

"mom... "

"A man is pregnant-"

"mom... "

"yes avi? "

He signalled towards his pants and they both looked down.

"my water broke. "

"Listen, kid, I ain't buying your shit ass story Aight. "