No Can Do

"Uh Dirk?" You asked awkwardly.

"Yeeees?" He smiled brightly. (A/N: Dirk smiling is my weakness! @FenrysAndConnall now you know  👀) His smile was so goddamn adorable, you needed to tell him how you felt. But maybe now wasn't the best time. Maybe, just maybe, you could tell him later. But what if you die out there? I mean it's not like you'd end up in Sherwood Forest getting chased by the sheriff of Nottingham or anything right? Right. You won't die. Nope. There will be no dying involved in this adventure. Wait, no this wasn't even an adventure! You said it yourself, this wasn't an adventure and you were not going to die. Okay, that's settled. 

"Um nevermind." You coughed. 

"Alright then. Let's go to the airport!" He jumped enthusiastically and dragged you to his blue Corvette. As you got in, you noticed Todd went to sit in the back seat and let you have shotgun. You wondered if he knew that you had fallen for Dirk, so he let you have the seat closest to him. It was kinda nice being near him, and Dirk driving made it much easier for you to look at him without him noticing. His face was so perfectly shaped. You could stare at him for hours. Eventually, Todd noticed that you were staring at Dirk and coughed you out of your trance.

"Yes Todd?" Dirk asked.

"Oh nothing, just something in my throat that's all." Todd said as he turned to look at you. You and Todd made intense eye contact as he raised his eyebrows like Zimmerman.

"Shit." You muttered under your breath.

"What is it 'my new friend'?" Dirk said with a smile.

"Oh um... n-nothing. Just remembered something." You laughed awkwardly. "Hey uh Todd? Could I possibly get your number?"

"Oh yeah here." Todd passed you a note with what seemed to be his phone number on it. 

"Thanks Todd." You sighed. You decided to text Todd.

YOU: You know..?

HIM: About your ever-so-obvious highschool crush on Dirk? Of course I know.

Todd snickered a bit in the back seat as he read your message.

YOU: HIGHSCHOOL CRUSH??? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU IMPLYING

HIM: You won't stop staring at him. 

YOU: Shit. Well what do I do???

HIM: Do you want him to know or not?

You thought about Todd's question for a moment. Did you want Dirk to know? Things are fine the way they are now. I mean besides the fact that you were going to goddamn England, just to find your car keys. Your thoughts were interrupted by a buzz of your phone.

HIM: Well? Do you?

YOU: Kinda.

HIM: I'm not the best at sights of romance. But I'm fairly sure he's in love with you too.

You burst out in laughter when he texted you that, startling Dirk.

"What the hell was that?" Dirk asked surprised.

"S-sorry Todd just sent me something funny." You laughed.

YOU: He's in love with me? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day and I've been with DIRK all day.

HIM: Suit yourself. I have some texts from him that could say otherwise.

YOU: ...could you pretty please show me..?

HIM: He told me not to show you. So no. Sorry.

YOU: pleeeeeeease 😞

HIM: No can do. He'll show you when he's ready.

You closed your phone and Todd repeated the action. Was Dirk actually in love with you? No. This couldn't be. He was Dirk Gently. Dirk Gently couldn't have fallen for some person who was so stupid that they lost their car keys such as you. Right? What did you even want to happen? Did you want him to love you?

 As you stared out the window you could just imagine the both of you in bed cuddling like there was no tomorrow. You hated to admit it but you didn't want to get over your, what did Todd call it? Oh yeah, your 'highschool crush'. You loved Dirk Gently. 

You loved Dirk Gently. Those words were ringing in your head over and over and over again. You were in love with this adorable man. You had just met him and you had already caught severe feelings for him. He wasn't like your past relationships, not that you and Dirk were a thing or anything.

He just made you feel something nobody else had, love. You were deeply in love with him. 'I have some texts from him that tell me otherwise.' Great. Now Todd's voice was ringing in your head. Did he actually love you? Did you want to know? Or were things kinda perfect the way they were now?