Chapter 3: Ouroboros

-Morning at the Gym-

Austin is lifting weights while Connie spots him. Counting his reps as her hands hovered over the bar just in case he needed help or he lost his grip. You’ll be surprised how many times that’s happened.

“Thirty-one…thirty-two…thirty-three….” She counts. “Someone’s in a good mood.” She chuckles.

Exhaling a breath he lifts the barbell his grip shaking the last few millimeters before Connie helps the rest of the way.

“It’s a wonderful time to be alive.” Austin sits up drying his face with a towel.

“Alright. Where’s Austin what have you done with him? He’s tall, long brown hair, never seen without a frown that I swear his face would crack if it expressed anything else.” She teases.

“Something amazing happened.” He grins with glee.

“Tell me!” she exclaims excitedly.

“I’ll tell you and everyone else at the party.”

“What party?” she questions.

“Saturday night, The Jack Rabbit,” he smirks.

“The Jack Rabbit? Why not have it at my bar?” she complains

“Then you’ll be working and not having fun.”

“Fun? Now you’re scaring me. I didn’t think fun was in your vocabulary.” she teases. “Is he coming?” she says sing-songy.

“Who?”

“Bright eyes of course. You can still cash in that favor.”

“Why did I even tell you that?”

“ ‘Caaaaaaaaaaaaause I’m your best friend.” She giggles. “Pretty much your only friend.”

“I have friends.”

“Grace doesn’t count. Speaking of, who’s gonna watch? Mrs. Fletcher? Be prepared for a tantrum. You know how she hates that old witch.”

“She has a sleepover at a friend’s house after I treat them to Coney island of course.” he

“I guess she’ll have to meet my boyfriend another day.”

“What? I’m just now hearing about it.”

“I can’t promise anything. Maybe I’ll introduce you at the party.” She winks.

~.~

After their workout, Austin chases Connie as she screams for her life. Evading his sweaty hug standing a few steps inside the women’s locker room. “Ha!” she barks proudly.

“Almost had ya.” he pants. “Go, you stink.” she points childishly.

“Of liquid gold.” he corrects wiping his forehead flicking his hand towards her causing her to shriek disappearing around the corner.