Chapter 5: After Party

-Early Morning At Austin's Apartment-

KNOCK!!! KNOCK!!!! KNOCK!!!!

This is what death feels like. Groaning at the pounding headache that held his skull in a vice. Throwing his arm over to his nightstand grabbed his phone. Wincing as the light shined through his eyelids willing himself to open his eye just to get the time. It took a few moments for his vision to clear and for his brain to put what was happening together.

KNOCK!!! KNOCK!!!! KNOCK!!!!

“It’s four in the fucking god damn morning.” Austin sneers having no patience at the moment. Stumbling to get out of the confines of his blankets.

KNOCK!!! KNOCK!!!! KNOCK!!!!

“HOLD YOUR HORSES!” he shouts wobbling from the throb from shouting holding a hand to his head for relief.

KNOCK!!! KNOCK!!!! KNOCK!!!!

The door rattles this time from the assault of knocks. Looking through the peephole Austin gasps.

Quickly unlocking the door Austin opens it. “Malcolm.” he gasps.

“Hi.” the Profiler waves with an awkward smile. His entire being was trembling. His eyes were bloodshot from exhaustion or were they from crying. From the shimmering streaks that lined his cheeks, it could have been a combination of both. “I-I-I know it’s late. A-a-a-and I’m probably the last person you wanna see right now, but I don’t know what else to do?” He rattles off at lightning speed. Austin could barely keep up. He closed his eyes before reopening them wishing he was sober.

“Come in.” Austin slowly decides to open the door wider as Malcolm looks at the man in shock.

Malcolm takes a seat at the island watching Austin walk past him opening the fridge for a water bottle.

“Want anything?” he gestures.

“No….thank you,” he answers awkwardly.

“So…” Austin breaks the silence accompanied by the sound of breathing and gulps of his water. Catching those bright eyes peering under his lashes. “…How was your date with, Ellen.” he grimaces getting her name wrong on purpose.

“Eve.” Malcolm corrects.

“Right.” He nods.

“She came over, we talked among other things.” He trails off. Austin’s heart sinks regretting even bringing up the topic out of petty jealousness. He stares off into space. Deep in thought. “There were no fireworks.” He explains the best he could. “I wanted fireworks.” He grumbles sadly.

“Sometimes we just have to settle for a few sparklers.” Austin shrugs.

“I got your text.” He starts causing Austin’s blood to run cold.