Chapter 11: Coming out

-Midday at a restaurant-

“Hello, mother.” Malcolm greets standing from his seat hugging her.

“Are you feeling okay?” she touches his cheek and forehead.

“Why shouldn’t I be?” he tilts his head.

“For once you treat me out for brunch and... it seems you’re actually eating...” she looks to a simple plate of half-eaten toast and egg. “...food.” causing her son to roll his eyes.“This is a glorious day.” She giggles clapping her hands with joy. “This must be quite the occasion.” She smirks hugging Ainsley as everyone takes their seats. Malcolm and Ainsley are on one side while their mother is seated across from them.

“I’ve met someone.” He starts.

“Did you make up with, Eve? I knew you two would work things out.” she assumes.

“No, mother.” He gently dismisses. His hand trembled in his lap until a warm hold takes it. Glancing at his side with his sister weaving her fingers between his own.

“You got this.” She whispers covering her words of encouragement by taking a sip of her orange juice.

“This is the first relationship that’s gone so much further and I’m terrified.” He begins chuckling anxiously. “For so long I’ve believed that Martin had ruined me. Damaged me beyond repair, but...” he trails off seeing the man of the hour walking up to the reservation desk The waiter pointing to their table. “...I’ve never felt so loved, understood, or seen as normal by the man I never want to leave my side.” He lists shooting to his feet meeting Austin halfway.

“Man?” Jessica gasps clutching her pearls looking to Ainsley for an explanation. The youngest Whitly smiles seeing how happy her brother has been…well she’s never seen her brother this happy.

“I can’t express how happy I am that you came.” Malcolm breathes taking in Austin’s attire.

“This is important to you so…” he shrugs enough being said. Holding his hands in front of him trying to calm the violent tremors that shook them. Austin brings Malcolm in for an embrace placing a brief peck

to his temple. “I’m right here,” he assures.

“That’s all I can ask for,” Malcolm adds taking Austin’s hand in his. Leading him over to a slack jawed Jessica. Ainsley pops from her seat skipping over to Austin roping her arms around his neck pulling him in for a bear hug.