Chapter 14: Birthday

Guest Starring 

Bryan Cranston as Patrick O'Reilly

-Morning at an Arcade-

“Wooooooo!” the redhead exclaims lifting her arms with triumph.

“Player 2 winner!”

“ConCon19, First place! Perfect record! Beat that!” Connie boasts.

“I can, and I will! This time with the not shitty steering wheel.” he corrects. His car drifted right into the guardrail that very moment through the confetti and checkered flag behind ConCon19 that shot across the screen.

Her Gamertag.

Shooting games, dance revolution, and losing about fifty dollars to a claw machine for an angry bird’s pillow. The two finished off their time at the arcade stuffing their faces with all you can eat pizza and chicken tenders.

“Thanks for helping me forget, Connie.” he smiles.

“Anytime. It’s not every day I can kick your ass mercilessly.”

“By all means. I’d love to take BigRed back.” he makes grabby hands towards the plushie occupying the seat next to the redhead. She places a protective arm over the plush. “S’wrong. Usually, you’ve finished your fries and trying to steal mine at this point?” he jokes, but otherwise concerned with his best friend’s unusual behavior.

“Not really hungry. It’s normal.”

Austin cocks a brow. “Doesn’t sound normal. I thought the doctors told you it was nothing to worry about?”

“It seems migraines, fatigue, achiness, and nausea are all normal. When you’re pregnant,” she answers

bluntly causing the man to choke on his drink. Violently coughing his lungs out into his arm.

“Oh, my god.” he gasps.

“Tell me about it.” she smiles through the pain. Tearing apart a tender to pieces on her plate. Having no intention of eating it.

“You’re my best friend. Basically my sister. Someone to take care of you like the old days.”

Connie sighs a breath when she said those words to him for what felt like another life.

-Flashback-

“It’s ‘bout time. I left like...thirty messages.” Connie rants.

“Augustus?”

“It’s Austin and you know that!” she snaps.

“What happened?”

“He and Jake had a fight.”