Chapter 19: Babies

-Morning at the crime scene-

"Did you ever discuss children with Jackie?"

"How could we? We had our hands full with you." Gil chuckles. "What's with the topic of children?"

"Austin." Malcolm sighs. "He wants kids."

"Ok." Gil trails off not seeing what the problem was.

"You know me, Gil. I'm a perfect textbook case on how "not" to be a father." he reasons as they approached Dani. "Dani, would I be a good father?"

"Yes," she answers.

"See, I would be horrible." Malcolm huffs with his hands on his hips. The detectives wait for him to realize what was said. "What!?! You were supposed to say no." Malcolm's mind finally catches up.

"I've seen you with Grace. You have a knack for it." she shrugs. "Astoundingly," she adds under her breath.

"JT would you trust me with your kid?" Malcolm asks.

"I don't have any." he quickly corrects.

"We know. Just doing a little survey, which Bright is passing with flying colors at the moment." Gil snickers.

"Hell no." JT answers.

"That's the answer I'm looking for, thank you for your honesty." he clamps his hand onto his shoulder.

"Don't touch me."

"Will do."

"I think children is something you should know before you ask your significant other to marry them." Gil points out.

"How bad was the fight?" Dani questions.

"We didn't fight. We just had a civil conversation like adults." Malcolm clarifies.

"How did it end? Who slept on the couch?" JT asks.

"Who stormed out the room first?" Dani asks.

"Does it matter?" The Profiler raises his brows.

"If you want to return to being single keep asking questions like that," JT advises.

"He dropped the subject and we went to bed," Malcolm explains.

"Seems fine." Dani tilts her head. "Wait, how was he this morning."

"He said that everything was fine." Malcolm shrugs but suddenly stares off in thought.

"Obviously not." Gil clicks his tongue.

"When I left out I went in for a kiss..."

"And..." Dani gestures for him to finish.

"...he gave me his cheek," he grumbles realizing the trouble he was in.