Chapter Five

Elizabeth's pov

"Fuck you too!" I yelled after the car that had just barely missed me. The driver honked back as they sped off. People are dicks.

The feelings from earlier had been dampened by mud sticking to my Converse and bits of the dream flashing through my head.

It's so strange. I feel like the dream was a memory, but it wasn't mine. It was me but it wasn't. I can't explain it.

I grunted in irritation. I hadn't had to think any deeper than following orders from Him for years.

"We don't have to think if we go back."

"Thanks captain obvious." I grumbled back. This voice was very unhelpful.

The sun was almost setting when I found people. Well, buildings. It was buildings with a lot of windows. I'm pretty sure they were called hotels.

"no, there's a playground, hotels don't have those."
The soft voice said kindly.

There was a playground, I hadn't even noticed it. Which was weird considering the children running around yelling and playing on the equipment.

I moved closer and stood behind a large tree near the outside of the metal fence that surrounded the playground.
There were at least five kids that seemed to range from 5-12 years of age. I was about to move forward when the soft voice stopped me.
"your weapon."

"What about it?"

"people don't trust people with weapons."

That made sense.
I made a small indentation in the dirt, long enough for my crowbar, then covered it in dirt and grass until it was hidden enough. I turned. A couple of the children had left.
I started walking forward and was almost to the fence when a little girl turned toward me.

She smiled and waved. She began walking toward me and I panicked.

"don't panic"

"Well, that changes everything."

I thought sarcastically. The voice just sighed.
"Hi!" The girl said when she had reached the fence.
"My name's Ellie! You wanna play tag with us?"

"yes."

"Yeah."

"Awesome!" The little girl's dark brown eyes sparkled. "The gates over there!" She gestured over a few fence installments to my left. "Great,"

........time skip..............

"That was so fun!" Ellie gushed, swinging next to me. The other kids had gotten called in a bit ago and I was talking with Ellie, waiting for her parents to call her in so I could go. Don't get me wrong, I had fun, but it was weird fun. Like I had to dig the fun out of myself so I could see that it was there, so that was interesting, but I had smiled earlier. It felt amazing.

"How old are you?"
Ellie asked suddenly, turning her head toward me, her ponytail coming around and wacking her in the face. We both laughed as she brushed it out of the way.

Laughter felt wonderful.

"How old am I?" There was silence from both voices.

"Well?"

"Seventeen." I said quickly, it sounded like an okay age.
She gaped at me.
"You're so old!"
I couldn't help but chuckle.

"How old are you then?"

"Nine!" She smiled at me.
"My birthday was a couple days ago!"

"happy late birthday"