Chapter Thirteen

Elizabeth was walking around town, she didn't know what to do next. Was she supposed to keep running? What other choice was there?

She occasionally heard a snap or tick, but it didn't feel as scary at the moment. Like she had a purpose and she would be protected until she filled it.

"Hey."

"Yeah?"

"Can I come out?"

"Come out? What?"

"Be in charge, help,"

"What about me? I've been here longer, I should be allowed out first."

"No, when you're out nothing goes well, we don't want to be you anymore."

The voices began arguing. Elizabeth was hella confused, and was starting to get irritated.

"BOTH OF YOU STOP IT!"

It was silent.

"Why should I trust either of you? I don't know who or what you are, and the only one I'm close to trusting is the quiet one."

There was silence for a minute.

"We're you. You can trust us. Don't you trust yourself?"

Elizabeth stood in silence for a long minute.

"No, no, you're not me, I'm me, I don't want to be like you."

She thought, aiming toward the loud voice.

It was silent, almost as if the loud voice was hurt. The quiet voice suddenly spoke.

"We are you, wether you want to accept that or not. You need us to win."

"Win what?"

She was met with silence again. Obviously she was not going to be getting any answers.

She walked around for what felt like an hour, but it had to have been only five minutes. She found herself on the side of one of the many dirt roads when she spoke to them again.

"Why can't I have both?"

She felt something like excitement in her mind, but they remained silent.

"To win, I want both. Let's be me."

She suddenly felt like her feet had been swept out from under her. Her stomach dropped and her mind felt heavy.

Everything was coming back. Well, blurs of everything were.

Falling to her knees, she blacked out.

--------------

She awoke with a headache, but things had never been clearer. The voices, no, she was right. She had to win.

She got up, brushing herself off, and started walking toward the area with a bunch of stores she had noticed earlier. They had to have what she needed.

She got a few strange looks when she entered the store. She must have looked awful, but she didn't care. She walked quickly through the store.

The gasoline was the easiest to find, she grabbed a jug she wouldn't have trouble carrying.

She walked around for a few more minutes and found a box of matches.

She had started to head toward the checkout when she realized that it would be pretty suspicious of her to buy these things together. She made a beeline for self checkout.