eight

p r i v a t e g a m e

Nam laughs to herself as Ms. Xiang calls out her twin for sleeping during class.

"Xia," she whispers.

"Hm?"

"Since you're going to be in detention, I'll just go home on my own."

"Okay. There's no tennis practice today-"

Nam cuts him off, "but you're going to stay and practice anyways, right?" Lu Xia just smiles at his baby twin.

-

Nam decides to walk to the tennis park after school, camera in hand.

"Lu Nam!" she turns around, hearing her name. Who would know me? She wonders.

"Oh, hi Zhuo Zhi," she says.

"Hi," he says back. "This is Tang Jiale and Chi Dayong, the Golden Partners of Yu Qing," Zhuo introduces.

"Ah, erm... hello. You two must play a really good game of doubles to earn that title," Nam compliments.

"Thanks," Jiale says, with a bright smile.

"You were there that day when Siyang and I went to Coach!" Dachi suddenly exclaims.

"Siyang..." Nam trails off.

"He's our captain," Zhuo supplies.

"Dachi here is our vice captain," Jiale says, as he pats the mentioned on the back.

"Oh... I went to ask Coach Qi if I could take pictures for the club, since the rules seem kind of strict," she explains.

"What'd she say?" Dachi asks.

"That I have to ask the captain, but I'll most likely start after your qualifiers are finished," Nam answers.

"Ooh! Can you take our pictures while we play? Dachi come! We must look totally fabulous!" Jiale shouts while striking a weird pose.

"Erm... okay," Nam complies.

"You two play each other. I'll just watch," Zhuo says.

"Okie!" Jiale says as he makes an 'okay' symbol with the hand that's not holding his tennis racket. "Dachi, come on," he ushers.

-

"You know," Zhuo starts, "after meeting you that day, I found your blog."

"Really?" Nam questions.

"Yes. I noticed a whole section dedicated to Lu Xia action shots. And all your other photos are beautiful, too." Zhuo leans closer to Nam. "I hope you'll feature the team beautifully as well," he says in a soft voice.

Nam reddens. "Me too," she whispers, while cursing Xia in her head. How dare he put the thought of me liking Zhuo Zhi in my head. I've never even had a crush before. How am I supposed to know what it feels like?

-

As Nam is taking pictures, she comments offhandedly, "Jiale's tennis style is so acrobatic and fun to watch, it's like sparkles are flying from his racket." Zhuo just quietly chuckles at this. He peeks over Nam's shoulder and sees the photo still on display on her camera screen, where Jiale is midair, turned, and swinging his racket back with pure glee on his face. Then, Nam points her camera to Dachi, who returns the ball all the way to the back of the court. "Whoa," Nam says," it's like stars should be coming out of his racket. Zhuo, what's that move called?"

"That's Dayong's special move, his moon volley," he answers.

"Moon volley," Nam whispers to herself, thinking these players are magical.

The true magic for Zhuo Zhi, though, is the smile that lights up on Nam's face as she's in her own element, too, as a photographer.

Magical indeed.

-

"Lu Nam! Can you play? Your brother is amazing,"Jiale states.

"Not as well," she replies.

"Do you want to try?" this time Dayong asks.

"Next time, when I'm dressed for it," she responds.

-

Zhuo and Nam sit next to each other on the bench while the Golden Partners are off to the side taking a water break. "Hey, Lu Nam," Zhuo starts.

"Yeah?"

"I have actually seen you around school before-"

"Oh?"

"But I never got the chance to stop and say 'hi.' You keep your head down, buried behind Lu Xia, or you're rushing off to your next class. But you're not like that with me. Why?"

"I'm not really sure myself, Zhuo Zhi. I... I guess I'm more at ease here."

"Well, I'm glad, Lu Nam."

"I am too. But... Zhuo Zhi..."

"Hm?"

"I was practically raised in the states. My twin can more easily adjust, but I'm okay if you just call me Nam. I have a lot of America still in me,"

"Okay. Call me Zhi then."

Nam unintentionally blushes at this. I told him to call me by my given name, so why would I be so flustered when he tells me to do the same? Nam scolds herself, but manages to respond with an "okay."