eighteen

i t r o d u c i n g y u f e n g

The next day of school seems to go by slowly, and Nam impatiently races to the changing room at the final bell, leaving a tired Lu Xia behind. At least she waits for him outside the boy's changing room before they walk to the club room together.

-

Nam sits next to Coach Qi as they listen to Yan present. She mirrors the coach take notes as she has her own notebook out. "Yu Feng became a black horse, and they defeated No. 40. This is the material I worked on all day. Please take a look, everyone," Yan says, "Yu Feng was the team that couldn't enter the competition last year."

"Oh!" Jiale exclaims. "I remember their coach had a really bad temper. Last time in the restroom, I heard their coach cursing people."

"Mhm. But the Yu Feng Tennis Club has just been formed recently. So the background information is not enough. Now, besides Captain Xu Ziping, the other team members are all second years. The coach has changed, too. It is Xu Ziping who works as the coach as well. He is the spirit of the team. I think... This is also the reason why No. 40 High School lost," Yan says.

"It will be a tough match," Zhuo says.

Coach Qi then stands up. "I hope you brace yourselves before the announcement of the competitors. Don't look down on the opponents. The competition of Lu Xia and Qiao Chen yesterday was a lesson learned," she says.

"But we won," Xia says.

Nam facepalms. "Learn to hold your tongue!" she whisper-scolds to her twin. At least Qiao Chen has learned his lesson.

Coach Qi announces their lineup as follows: second doubles will be Zuo Zhi and He Xinglong, first doubles is the Golden Partners, third singles is Zhang Baiyang, second singles is Lu Xia, and first singles is the captain.

Nam scoffs as her twin makes another arrogant remark. Couldn't he show a little caution? she thinks.

-

The day comes when they face Yu Feng. Nam walks in the back as her team approaches Yu Feng in the tennis park. She cowers slightly at their intimidating presence. A member of Yu Feng walks while bouncing a ball on the frame of his racket. Not to be outdone, Lu Xia sits on a bench, casually drinking a grape soda while doing the same with his racket. Nam decides to just take a picture of his antics.

She breathes a tiny sigh of relief as the intimidating aura leaves along with the Yu Feng members. Yan then instructs everyone to take off the weights they were wearing, except for Qiao Chen, who wasn't wearing any. I almost forgot he injured his foot, Nam thinks. But I thought he was healed? She laughs as Qiao sees Xu Xingzi and tells her that he's playing today. Luckily for him, Dachi saves him from further humiliation as he brings up the foot injury. The team doesn't let him off easily, though, and Nam giggles along with Xingzi as the others playfully mock him for being a substitute.

The team goes to the court, but Nam stays behind to talk to Xingzi.

"Hi Xu Xingzi," she greets.

"Hi Nam."

"Erm... the captain of Yu Feng is Xu Ziping... Is he, um... Is he your brother?

"Yeah."

"Ah... So... I guess you'll, uh... you'll cheer for your own school."

"I will."

"Well... I guess I'll, uh... see you after the, um... match... Good luck."

"Same goes for you, too, Nam. I'll catch you later," Xingzi says with a smile.

"Okay," Nam says, a grin etching its way onto her face.

A/N- lol i'm updating at Thursday's midnight [so technically it's Friday] (even though my parents don't normally allow me on the internet this late hehehe)