thirty-three

i n t e r n s h i p

Nam practically skips up the steps to her house, elated that soon, she'll go on her first date, and it's with the boy she likes.

Nam sees Lu Xiangqian waiting for her in the garden.

"Hi dad," she brightly smiles as she greets him.

"I take it that genius asked you," he bluntly says, with a straight face.

Nam's not sure if that's a bad sign. She thought he had already given his blessing, after all.

"Erm... yeah," she hesitantly answers, but still not able to keep a goofy smile off of her face, just thinking about him.

"Today Sha came by to interview me," Xiangqian suddenly states with a happy change in expression. This sudden change in mood throws Nam off. "She left her card if you still wanted to take her internship," he tells his daughter.

Nam ponders this for a moment. She thinks back to Xinglong, and how he cooks for others at his father's restaurant. "Okay," she agrees, "maybe... Maybe I should try interning."

Her dad comes in to hug her.

"Don't grow up too fast," he says, then goes back to lazily lounging in the garden, still waiting for Xia to come home.

Nam goes to her room and gives the number on the card a call.

"Xiao Sha, Tennis Monthly," the voice answers.

"Hi, um... this is Lu Nam. I'm-"

"Lu Nam? Are you accepting the internship?"

"Yes... All I have to do is take pictures, right?"

"Of course! Thank you for accepting, kid!"

"Uh... thank you? Shouldn't I be the thankful one?"

"You're fun, kid. At the next match, I'll get you your own card. I'm working on a story on the High School Tennis League right now."

"Ah, okay."

"I have to go, my chief is calling. I'll see you soon, Nam."

"Okay, Ms. Sha."

"It's just 'Sha,' remember?"

"Right... thank you, Sha."

"It'll be a pleasure working with you."

Nam sighs as the call ends with that. I guess that was the point of no return, she thinks.

Nam hears her twin come home,so she goes to his room, wondering how his private game with the captain went.

Upon seeing him sulking on his bed, she assumes it wasn't good.

"How bad?" she asks.

"I'm not strong enough," he says.

Nam nods in understanding, even though she's at a loss.

"Well, I'm sure you'll figure it out. I believe in you."

"Thanks. How was practice today?"

"I, uh... didn't go."

"Huh?"

"I was with Zhi... I'm," Nam nervously laughs. "I'm going on a date with him soon," she confesses.

"Gross," is the only answer Xia gives.

Nam sighs, leaving so her twin can work through whatever it is, so he can succeed for himself and Yu Qing.