forty

c h a n g i n g  d y n a m i c s

After the bell rings at the end of the school day, Nam goes to the girl's changing room and puts on her team jacket over leggings and a t-shirt.

She decides to go to the boy's room and wait outside for Zhi, but didn't fully think things through.

"Lu Xia hasn't even arrived yet," she hears from behind her, seeing Qiao Chen eating a hamburger.

"Oh, um... I'm not exactly waiting for him," Nam admits.

"Who could it possibly be?" he asks.

"Me," Zhi says, walking out of the door for the boy's changing room, and putting his arm around Nam.

Before Qiao Chen can respond, Zhi ushers Nam away and they head to the courts.

During practice, Nam travels around the courts, but eventually gives up in taking pictures. This was an extra practice since the rain postponed the tournament anyways, and her mind was somewhat preoccupied.

Nam looks over to where Zhi is practicing, and slightly frowns at how tense he seems. She remembers him talking about his little brother the other day, and guesses the match tomorrow must be troubling him.

"Hey," she says as she approaches Zhi's court.

Upon hearing her voice, he turns the ball machine off and turns to face Nam.

"Hey."

"So, I don't think I'm the best at reading people, but... Are you alright?" she asks, the both of them moving to sit down on the bench.

He smiles at her a bit. "I can't leave anything to chance. Tomorrow, he's going to pay," he answers, angry at just the thought of Guan Yue.

Without thinking, Nam holds Zhi's hand and lightly squeezes it, making him look at her with an eyebrow raised, and her self flush from how foreign the action seems to her.

Nam can't seem to look Zhi in the eye from how embarrassed she is, but doesn't let go of his hand. "I, uh... can't really do much. But... I am your girlfriend," she says, looking down shyly, "and I'll be here."

"That's all I need," he answers back, running his thumb over the back of her hand.

They're interrupted by a loud gasp, made by none other than Tang Jiale.

"I told you all!" Qiao Chen shouts from beside him, the rest of the main players gathering to see what's happening, with the exception of Siyang who's overseeing the rookies' training with Zhiming.

"See Lu Xia?" Qiao Chen continues. "Will you really let those two continue like this?"

Nam hears her twin groan in annoyance, and for a split moment, she can sympathize for him. I am his sister, and I guess Zhi is his senior. Those thoughts disappear immediately as he leaves with a scoff. Xinglong looks very amused at the budding couple, but leaves in favor of practicing with Xia.

Jiale decides to throw a jab at Qiao Chen and say, "Well, what about that girl from Yu Feng? The captain's sister?" which also makes him leave with a huff.

"Jiale," Dayong starts, his tone implying that he should give it a rest.

"And you two," Jiale continues, pointing to Zhi and Nam, with Nam trying to make herself smaller from all this attention, and Jiale ignoring his own partner's warnings. "What do you think you're doing? Being so- so impure!"

"Impure?" Nam repeats, irked.

Dayong sighs loudly, moving to drag Jiale away.

"Practice is over," the vice-captain says before leaving with a protesting Jiale in hand.

While Zhi is packing up his tennis bag, Nam gets an idea.

"Zhi?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you want to go to a tennis park with me?"

He grins. "Sure."