twenty-five

p o n d e r a n c e 

At home, Nam sits out in the garden, working in her sketchbook. She sees her twin walk out.

"Where are you going?" Nam asks.

"To buy some goose," he answers.

"Let me come," she says, upon seeing her brother's troubled face.

"Okay," Xia replies.

-

"You go out, don't you?" Xia asks his sister as they're walking.

"Like out... with friends?"

"Yes."

"A little... Why?"

"Dad said I should go out."

"That's not bad."

"I don't... Why should I focus on something that's not tennis? And beating him?"

"Well... you won't spend your whole life playing... And even so... you could make memories... with friends."

"Huh?"

"Um... You play singles. And you're alone... but that's only on the court... There's a team for a reason. I guess... I guess that you could also focus on friends and the team... rather than just beating dad."

"..."

"I mean... still focus on tennis, as long as you still love to play. But... it's not strictly business. I mean... I have some friends, or people I'd like to call friends, but they're all still associated with tennis in some way... because I'd go with you, Xia... and I think the team would like to call you a friend, too... You're not just a player to win matches... That's the goal whenever you play, I guess... but you're there as a valued member, too."

"Thanks, Nam... Come on, we're nearing Xinglong's restaurant."

-

The twins walk up to the door of the restaurant.

"Hi, sir," Xia greets Mr. He.

"Are you guys here for Xinglong?" he asks.

"Yes," Xia replies, while Nam just nods.

"Come in, he is inside," Mr. He says, while guiding the Lu twins through the restaurant doors.

Nam smiles to herself as the delicious aroma from the roasted goose fills her nose. The twins walk over to the counter, where Xinglong is working.

"Xinglong," Xia does the greeting once again.

"Lu Xia, Lu Nam, why are you here?" he asks.

"To buy some goose," Xia answers.

"Oh. Wait a minute," he says, before going behind the counter.

"Do you... help out here all the time?" Nam asks.

"Yes. By the way, you two can text me anytime you want some goose. You can come get it when it's ready, okay?" Xinglong says.

"Okay," Xia says as Nam mutters a small "thanks."

"You practice tennis and help your father every day. It's tough, right?" Xia asks.

"Why? Doing your favorite things would never be hard. I love cooking and playing tennis," Xinglong replies.

Nam glances at her twin with concern on her face as he seems in deep thought.

"But," Xinglong continues, "I don't know how long I can keep doing them... at the same time."

"Why... why don't you just cook for yourself?" Nam wonders.

"My family has built this restaurant, and part of why I love cooking is being able to share that with others," he answers.

Mr. He walks past the group as he tells his son, "Xinglong, I'll get their orders ready."

"Okay, dad," he responds. "Lu Xia, Lu Nam, wait a minute. I'll be back soon." Both twins nod in response.

They see Xinglong working and attending to the other customers in the restaurant. "We shouldn't bother him," Xia says.

"Yeah," Nam agrees as they make their way out of the restaurant and sit on the bench outside the door.

Tired, Nam rests her head on her brother's shoulder, and she dozes off, both twins waiting for Xinglong to be done working.

A/N- idk how to title things whoops