( nine ) you are a genius, will byers.

╔═════   ∘◦ ☽ ミ ◦∘ ══════╗

𝗠𝗜𝗗𝗡𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓮:"𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚊 𝚐𝚎𝚗𝚒𝚞𝚜, 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚢𝚎𝚛𝚜

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓮:
"𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚊 𝚐𝚎𝚗𝚒𝚞𝚜, 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚢𝚎𝚛𝚜."

╚═════ ∘◦ ミ ☾ ◦∘ ══════╝

UPON ARRIVING AT Heather's house, Mackenzie scrambled out of the car. It was incredibly stuffy with the combination of the hot summer air and eight people in it. She ripped her hair out of the extremely messy ponytail that had been in since last night and re-tied it. Mackenzie let out a hiss of pain as she raised her shoulders. She wanted these bruises to go away.

"Mack?" Will asked. She turned towards him as they walked up the path. "How are you doing?"

She raised an eyebrow. "How am I doing? I should be asking how you're doing."

He shrugged. "I-I don't really know. It's like I'm feeling a million different emotions all at once."

"And that's okay," she told him. "You don't have to know everything."

Will smiled for probably the first time since yesterday. "Have I ever told you you're the best?"

She giggled, butterflies erupting in her stomach. "Once or twice."

They finally stopped in front of the house. Nancy rang the doorbell, but there was no response. She rang it again, and when nothing happened, she shared a glance with Jonathan before they turned around to look at Eleven. A quick nod of the girl's head sent the door flying open. Mackenzie let out a deep breath and followed after everyone with extreme caution. Once she entered, she saw the carpet was extremely out of place. Her eyes narrowed in thought as they all began to look around.

"Tom?" Nancy called out. "Heather?"

"Jesus, it's freezing," Max complained, rubbing her arms in effort to make herself warmer.

Mackenzie nodded. "Well, you know what they say. He likes it cold."

They all entered the living room. Nancy stopped, turning back to the group.

"Do you guys smell that?"

Mackenzie sniffed the air. She understood what Nancy was asking. The air smelled distinctively of chemicals, more specifically ones used to clean. All of them looked to the kitchen, where empty bottles of cleaning chemicals were scattered across the room. The sink was ripped out of the wall as well.