( ten ) nobody gets left behind, am I clear?

╔═════ ∘◦ ☽ ミ ◦∘ ══════╗

𝗠𝗜𝗗𝗡𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓮𝓷:"𝚗𝚘𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚐𝚎𝚝𝚜 𝚕𝚎𝚏𝚝 𝚋𝚎𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚍, 𝚊𝚖 𝙸 𝚌𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚛?"

𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓮𝓷:
"𝚗𝚘𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚐𝚎𝚝𝚜 𝚕𝚎𝚏𝚝 𝚋𝚎𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚍,
𝚊𝚖 𝙸 𝚌𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚛?"

╚═════ ∘◦ ミ ☾ ◦∘ ══════╝

MACKENZIE STARED UP at the ceiling as all of the lights flickered around her. This happened every time something from the Upside Down entered their world. She remembered communicating with Will through the lights in her room and talking to him through a entrance to the other side that had somehow appeared behind her poster of Queen. But this . . . this was much crazier than talking to your best friend that was in a parallel dimension. Mackenzie had a bad feeling that this wasn't just another flayed person. If the Mind Flayer actually was here . . . what were they going to do?

Will reached up and touched his neck, his hand slightly shaking. "He's here."

That confirmed everything. Mackenzie glanced over at him. Will looked completely terrified, which was understandable because they were going to face the monster that once consumed him. And not in his form as Billy, in his true form. She reached over and grabbed the hand that was on his neck, interlacing his fingers with her own. Will didn't look over at her once, but she needed him to.

"Will," she uttered quietly. "Look at me."

"Mack . . ." he trailed off, his voice barely a whisper.

"Just look at me, Will." She grabbed his other hand and turned his body gently to face hers. "Right at me."

Their eyes locked. His eyes were swimming with fear and uncertainty, but there was one thing they were both certain of. That no matter what happened, they would always have each other, and that was what mattered the most.

"Mack," he let out weakly.

"Keep your eyes on me, all right? It's okay, Will. I've got you."

The rest of the group watched, although a bit impatiently, in adoration. Mackenzie and Will were a prime example of two people helplessly and completely in love with each other, but neither of them would ever let the other one know. It was quite tiring, really, but the way that they worked was just so mesmerizing.

"I promised that nothing bad would ever hurt you again under my watch," she said seriously. "I intend to keep that promise, especially since we're facing this son of a bitch again."

Will momentarily frowned. "But I don't want you to get hurt, Mack."

She squeezed his hands slightly. "Then we both have to look out for each other." Mackenzie then looked around at the rest of the group, letting go of one of his hands but keeping a tight latch on the other. "Nobody gets left behind, am I clear?"