Chapter 9

The score is now tied at 3-3, Reon delivers the next serve. Daichi receives but the ball is off. Tanaka sends the last hit to Kageyama. Tendou watches carefully and instructs Goshiki "Jump straight.", the two jump to block Kageyama and Tendou is able to move his arms quick enough to block when Kageyama tries to spike to his right.

Reon serves and Daichi again receives. Kageyama and Akihiko glance at one another and this does not go unnoticed by Tendou who quickly positions himself to successfully block Hinata, Tendou relished, "I feel 120% today."

As Karasuno calls a time-out, Goshiki praises Tendou on his correct guess, "You must believed that Kageyama would set to Akihiko because you too had noticed the glance they exchanged.", Tendou explains "they were bluffing as a possible way to throw off the blockers." Shirabu adds "Once Tendou learns an opponents glances, footwork and handling, the opposing team will not stand a chance against him."

After Ukai advises to cut Shiratorizawa off at the next serve, Tanaka and Hinata notice Kageyama looking very upset, "Don't worry, Kageyama, we'll beat him in no time.", Hinata said. Though he denies he is, Kageyama admits to himself, "I cannot stand it when a spike from his set is blocked.", Takeda questioned, "What are the methods on Tendou's blocking?", Akihiko explained, "Tendou uses a method, "Guess Blocking", which means he relies on his readings and intuition to guess where the next attack will be coming from and position himself in time to block.", the team were surprised about Akihiko knowing about him, "How do you know about that?", Ukai asked, "Because I have an interest in him and I thought he's cute.", Akihiko said, while the team looked at him in weird looks, "You have weird taste in men, Aki-kun, but I won't judge.", Sugawara said. Ukai informs the players, "There will be times where he is wrong, but what we see so far, it's a rare occurence. What make him dangerous is that he can react fast enough to get these blocks and the best way to get by a blocker like him is to think of his movements as not having regularity."

The time-out ends and the set continues with Reon serving once more. The ball hits the top of the net and Daichi is quick enough to receive. Despite the ball being short, Kageyama quickly positions himself to set as Tendou admires Kageyama's flawless coordination. He is so wrapped in his thoughts that he does not react in time when Hinata spikes the ball right over his head. Tendou calls Kageyama out on this, saying that Kageyama did this on purpose as a type of payback for Tendou's last block.

The set continues and at his next set, Kageyama disguises where he sends the ball and Tendou falls for this by going to the right but Kageyama had set to Daichi instead of Hinata. Yamagata receives but the ball heads back to Karasuno. As Nishinoya sets to Kageyama, Hinata runs to the far side of the court with Tendou chasing after him. Reaching the end of the court, Hinata is given the last hit and spikes. The spike bounces off Yamagata's arms and goes out.

Kageyama delivers the next serve. Yamagata receives and Goshiki spikes past Hinata and Daichi. Akihiko is able to save the ball and Hinata once again tries to lead Tendō to one side of the court. Though it appears that Tendou is following, he suddenly changes direction and runs to the opposite end in time to get a one touch on Tanaka's spike. Ushijima is given the last hit and spikes past Hinata to score.

The next rally continues on until Ushijima lands a spike. Takeda said "I come to realize the attacks and blocks evolve and that different methods of attack and defense are learned through practice and understanding." Ukai is impressed at how much Takeda has come to learn of volleyball. While Takeda says "This is common to know, understanding all of this information will be their ally."

As Tsukishima rotates in and Tendou noticed him and Akihiko, "Oh, look it's the 'normal guy' and 'Mr. Giant'." Tsukishima and Akihiko became annoyed at the jab, but listens when Daichi advises them to just ignore it.

Kawanishi serves and the ball falls short but Nishinoya digs it in time though it is sent back to Shiratorizawa. Tendou right away tries a time lag attack and is caught off guard when Tsukishima and Akihiko are able to block him with no problem and score for Karasuno.

"Hello, the name's 'normal guy' and my friend, 'Mr. Giant', we noticed that you were using the time lag attack, but that won't work for us, nice to meet you." Tsukishima sarcasticly said, "I thought the Karasuno first years would be annoying, but you just took the cake.", Tendou said to Tsukishima, "Thanks" "You pissed me off!, and why aren't you saying anything?" Tendou annoyedly asked to Akihiko, then Akihiko chuckled.

"Because you're so cute when pissed off, little red." Tendou was silent for a moment and blushed before screaming and charging at him, but Reon and Ushijima hold him back, "It's not my fault, you're just huge! Not to mention you're a gorgeous species and I'm blaming you for it!", Tendou exclaimed, as the referee blows his whistle as a warning.

In the next play, Tendou looks to go to attack but Tsukishima waits and jumps when he sees Ushijima is given the set. Despite perfect timing, Ushijima is still able to get by. Takeda silently pleads for Tsukishima to continue thinking and be Karasuno's understanding.

When the players change positions, Shirabu noticed Tsukishima had been staring at him. In the waiting area, Tadashi is certain that Karasuno will get their chance and begins to silently plead to Ukai to be put into the game. The game continues and Tsukishima continues to get one touches on many of the spikes. Shirabu is becoming frustrated with Tsukishima being able to constantly do this. Tanaka delivers a spike that causes Goshiki and Yamagata to hesitate when they see the other attempt to receive and thus allowing the ball to land. This upsets the Shiratorizawa coach, Tanji Washijō, who promptly scolds Goshiki.

Hinata soon rotates in and Sugawara is subbed in for Tsukishima. Sugawara serves and the ball is received by Reon. Tendou spikes and Daichi is able to save it. At this, Sugawara and Kageyama switch positions and Karasuno executes a synchronized attack. The Shiratorizawa players right away become alarmed and Reon and Tendou are unable to block in time to stop Kageyama's spike. At that, Reon spikes and Sugawara fails to receive.

Ushijima deflects a spike off Kageyama's hand and scores. In the next rally, Goshiki hits a spike off Daichi's arm and scores as well; bringing Shiratorizawa to twenty points first. On Shiratorizawa's next turn, Shirabu serves and Nishinoya receives. Kageyama sets and Hinata spikes past Kawanishi and Goshiki.

Tadashi is subbed in for Hinata for Karasuno's next serve. With encouragement from Tsukishima, Tadashi does the jump float. Goshiki receives and Shiratorizawa's formation breaks. Yamagata sends the last hit to Ushijima. With Daichi, Tsukishima and Asahi trying to block, Ushijima still spikes through and ends Tadashi's serve.

Ukai calls for a time-out. "Don't get to caught up in the excitement of completely shutting down the an attack or breaking through a block.", Ukai adviced the team.

When the time-out ends and the players are making their way back onto the court, Tsukishima asks "I can permitted to set the timing for the three person blocks." At the same time, Shirabu is reminded by Eita Semi to pass to Ushijima. Shirabu easily agrees though this seems to annoy Semi.

Goshiki serves and becomes annoyed seeing Daichi picking up the receive as he has done several times already. Akihiko hits the ball against Ushijima's arm and scores. Daichi does the next serve. Goshiki receives and Shirabu sets to Ushijima though Tsukishima gets a one touch on his spike and further frustrates Shirabu. Akihiko sends the ball back over after Tanaka and Daichi send it to him. Yamagata receives and Reon spikes. With his spike landing and the rotation changing, Tendou is now in the front.

Tanaka receives Kawanishi's serve and Kageyama sets to Tsukishima. With Tendou jumping to block, Tsukishima does the feint over him. As Shirabu saves the ball, Reon realizes that the feint was purposely aimed to go to the center. He sets to Ushijima as Kageyama, Tsukishima and Akihiko go to block.

As Ushijima is preparing to spike, Tsukishima sets the timing and signals when to jump. Faced with the triple block, Ushijima spikes a straight that directly leads to Nishinoya. The Karasuno libero receives and surprises many with his accomplishment of getting the ball back up. As Kageyama prepares to set, Tendou guesses where the ball with go and heads toward Karasuno's left only to be caught off guard when Kageyama sends the ball to Tsukishima who spikes past Reon and scores; bringing the score to a tie.

(A/N): 1,524 words, I just replaced Asahi's place for Akihiko, plus I like it when he teases Tendou by calling him cute. Hope you like this chapter.