Chapter 17

THE NEXT DAY (THIRD POV)

The first years are beginning spiking practice and Hinata volunteers to cover the back end of the court. Sagae notices Hinata's excitement and learns from Goshiki that the middle blocker had stayed late the previous night as well.

As the drills take place, Hinata is seen being able to keep up with the hits and catch the balls. He is noted by Kunimi to appear like he is the only one in the middle of a game.

Hinata's appearance giving Goshiki, Kindaichi and Kunimi seemingly unnerved feelings and Tsukishima and Akihiko dislikes that he feels he must give more effort after seeing Hinata working so hard.

As Haykuzawa prepares to spike, Hinata continues to remind himself that he should always be thinking about his next move.

He pictures himself in a game against Hyakuzawa and as he tells himself that he's been tasked with being part of the courts defender.

As Hyakuzawa spikes, Hinata does the split step and propels himself into the perfect spot to catch the ball. Impressed with Hinata's feat, Sagae gives him a thumbs up.

Hinata happily returns the gesture, thus resulting in being distracted when Kindaichi spikes and ends up getting hit in the crotch by the ball.

Hinata topples over in pain as the rest of the players watch in shock and Washijō simply scolds Hinata for not paying attention.

Later that evening, Tsukishima approaches Hinata and asked him, "Do you have some time to accompany me?"

Hinata is momentarily silent before doing a double-take in shock, "Don't take a second look at me.", he said.

"What do you want me to do with you?", Hinata asked, "Practice blocking. You can do something else other than being a ball boy on your own time, right?", Tsukishima said.

Tsukishima looked away, "Of course, I won't force you...", Hinata shouted, "Tsukki wants to join!", making them greet him.

"Alright!", Hinata said as he went to Tsukishima with the bibs, "Can you put that away first?", Tsukishima asked.

Hinata is given a set and faces off against Tsukishima. Hinata easily scores past his teammate, impressing some of the other first years who had believed Hinata to be a libero.

"Let me try blocking too.", Kindaichi said as he went the other side of the net, "Two middle blockers?", Hinata said.

"I'm going to block the hell out of it if you spike.", he said determinely, and Koganegawa said, "I'll do it too!", Goshiki makes it apparent that he will be next to spike.

As he goes to spike, Goshiki angles his approach in what appears to be for a cross shot. As Koganegawa, Tsukishima, and Kindaichi jump to block, Tsukishima becomes annoyed at seeing he is now the short blocker.

Despite his approach, Goshiki lands a clear straight shot past the block and is praised by Hinata. After Goshiki proudly walks off.

"The right-wing didn't cover his position properly. The line shot was wide open.", Tsukishima pins out, "It's because I thought he would make a cross-court shot.", Koganegawa defend himself.

"Tsukishima, did you want to practice blocking, so I'd have a chance to try spiking?", Hinata asked, "No.", Tsukishima answered bluntly to Hinata's dismay.

THE NEXT DAY

Hinata is on top of his ball boy duties; helping with drinks and chasing any balls that fly onto the second floor.

Going onto the second floor to watch the games from above has become a new favorite for Hinata.

As he watches, he notices that Kunimi has similar receives to Ushijima in which he does not make any unnecessary movements but then think that Kunimi may just not want to put in the extra effort when he does not chase after a ball.