Entry Ten

Math. Numbers. 1, 2, 3, 4… Addition. Easy. 

2+2=? 

Well, it’s easy. John has two apples. James has two apples. Together, they have four apples. 

2+2=4. 

Subtraction. Slightly less easy.

4–2=? 

Together, John and James had four apples but James lost his. Now, they have two.

4–2=2. 

Addition and subtraction. The basics of math. 

What about (-2)+(-2)? What does that equal?

Well, John lost two apples and James has also lost two apples. Together, they have lost four apples. 

So, (-2)+(-2)=(-4). Easy.

Then they added letters. Letters in math? Why?

(2x)+(2x)=?

Think of it this way: John has two apples. James has two apples. Together, they have four apples. Therefore, x is the amount of apples the two boys have. So, the question is instead asking (2 apples)+(2 apples)=?, or, 2+2=? 2+2=4. 

(2x)+(2x)=(4x)

Why bother add the letters? Why not just call the x’s apples? Why make everything so damn complicated? Well, I’m not really complaining. I like the complicated. When things are complicated, it gives me an excuse to talk to Clarissa. 

She sits behind me in math. I used to hate math, and next year, I will again. But for now, it seems to be bearable.

Thomas Hickory