Entry Twelve

My father is so stupid. He tells me that all it takes to get a girl is a few seconds. You just need to be courageous for a few seconds. Just say a few words. It just takes a few seconds and then the two of you are together for good. 

What a load of bull.

Okay, so I can see where he’s coming from. It just takes a few seconds to start a conversation. But then my dad just naturally assumes that I’m like him. That I am like every other teenage boy. That I am able to talk to people of the feminine variety. That after the initial hello, I would be able to continue a conversation and find out new things to talk about.

But what happens when I can’t continue a conversation? When I am not able to discover new things to talk about? What happens when the two of us are so out of things to talk about that we don’t even break up? We just stop talking and the tangible silence creates a void between us. That the silence is so loud, my ears scream in retaliation and my lips are so parched that they beg for water. For my tongue to wet them once more so that the dry and crackling skin can breathe again.

Well I suppose that this is taking it to the extreme.

But if all it takes is one word for Clarissa and I to get together, then I guess I could give it a try.

Thomas Hickory