Entry Twenty One

By the time I was back in school, I had missed a lot. The only ones who seemed to notice that I was absent were my teachers and Mason, who continued to sit with me at lunch. I found myself counting on that one hour to get me through the day. It disgusted me how much I came to rely on him. For the first time in a long time, I had a friend.

I knew it wouldn’t last. I knew that he would eventually grow tired of me. That he would miss his football friends. But instead of leaving, he started bringing some to my table. A few of them were sitting there when I got to the table at the beginning of lunch one day. I almost walked passed not realizing that it was indeed my table.

I pulled Mason to the side and whispered, “Who the hell are all these people?”

“They are friends of mine. I think you’ll like them.”

“I don’t want to like them.”

“Come on, you must want some friends?”

“No, I do not want friends. Are they all…football players?

“Not all, but they are all athletes. Why does that matter? I'm an athlete, ya know?”

In that instant, I recognized one of them. It was the pig-creature. The troll that I saw kissing Clarissa.

“Come on, sit down.” He pushed me into a seat next to him. I resigned to my book all of lunch.

Thomas Hickory